FORUMS: list search recent posts

converting anchor points

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gimungus
converting anchor points
on Jan 23, 2006 at 5:55:13 pm

I need a way to control what type of anchor points are created by the pathfinder tools. I am using the pathfinder subtract tool and it is converting all anchor points with less than two control handles to corners. I need to keep the anchor points that join a straight line segment smoothly into a curve as smooth anchor points. does anyone know a way of doing this without manually using the convert anchor point tool and clicking on each point?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Underbelly
Re: converting anchor points
on Jan 23, 2006 at 10:04:42 pm

If I understand you correctly, you just have to hold down the mouse button and drag as you create the points. This will pull out the handles and give you a smooth curve.

Return to posts index

Gimungus
on Jan 25, 2006 at 1:20:20 am

That's not exactly the problem. The points are smooth when I create them, it's after I use any of the pathfinder tools that they are converted to corner points even if they appear smooth.
Take this example.
Create two circles. (by default the anchor points are considered "smooth")

Cut one of the circles into four arc segments and then use the join tool to reconnect them but when the option is given to choose "corner" or "smooth", choose "corner".

The circle should look just as it did before.

Now apply the round edges filter to both.

The original circle with the "smooth" anchor points is uneffected. The circle with the "corner" anchor points is deformed.

The pathfinder tools all seem to convert all the anchor points on a path to "corners".

I want to use the pathfinder tools to create paths which I will then apply the round corner tool to but I only want sharp corners to be effected.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Underbelly
on Jan 25, 2006 at 3:39:52 pm

Sorry Gimungus,

I just don't understand. IF you use "smooth" rather that "corner" when you join them, doesn't that give you what you want? I mean, if you are using "corner" and you get corner, I don't understand the problem?

Return to posts index

Gimungus
on Jan 25, 2006 at 9:30:13 pm

I'm building two paths, each using the proper anchor point types. I then need to perform a pathfinder subtract on them. The pathfinder tool is converting my nicely defined anchor point types to corner types.

I could just build the piece manually without using the pathfinder tool, but I have hundreds of them to do, and they are all a bit different but made from a few common well built pieces. It's WAY faster to use pathfinder than to hand cut and rejoin what will amount to thousands of points.

Pathfinder is the problem. I need to be able to control the anchor point output characteristics of the pathfinder operations.

Return to posts index

Underbelly
on Jan 26, 2006 at 5:29:32 pm

Hey,

I would like to help but I am just not following. I've used pathfinder a million times and never had a problem with it changing my points. Why would it? That's not the purpose of pathfinder!

But to clearly understand you'd have to put step by step instruction to exactly what you are doing or I can't help. You told me about cutting a circle and puting back together with corner points and then use the round edges filter. Of course you get a deformed circle and I can't see where pathfinder comes into play.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]