FORUMS: list search recent posts

Skin Tones

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Underbelly
Skin Tones
on Jan 19, 2006 at 4:12:44 pm

Hi.

I'm using(Adobe Photoshop CS (8.0) on a Mac G5 Dual 1.8 Gz with 1.25 BD DDR SDRAM. My Monitor is an uncalibrated 3 year old 25" ViewSonic (Hope this info make Richard happy)

Anyway, being that my company has no interest in calibrating out monitors (I wish I could convince them otherwise), I rely on the RGB and CYMK values in photoshop when working on images and since we are a toy company with a lot of bright colors, this works well. I can match the product because I know the values. My problem is skin tones on model shots for our catalogs. Does anyone know of anywhere to get reliable values for skin tones? I really want something to use as a basic guide.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Skin Tones
on Jan 22, 2006 at 9:23:58 pm

Match them for what? Need more details
web, video, print?
Between two computers, for offset printing

etc

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors
Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

Underbelly
on Jan 23, 2006 at 3:30:09 pm

Well Rich, I stated clearly in my post if was for catalog work. What's the point of me typing all this in if you are not going to read it? (kidding)

Anyway, I always have a problem getting skin tone to look natural. You see, all I'ev got is a old view sonic monitor and a color laser printer, neither do I trust. I'm working hard to get the place I work for to upgrade all there monitors but until them, I need help.

I love to use the numbers (cymk values) rather then what appears on the screen. I just don't have a handle on skin tones. What I've been doing is finding a photo from our catalog that has similar skin tones and use those values but thats too time consuming.

It would be nice to have something to use as a guide.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 23, 2006 at 4:13:37 pm

Will assume that catalog means printed...

Ask your printer (the person not machine) for a ICC profile.... load that for both monitor and PS and that'll help a lot

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors
Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

Underbelly
on Jan 23, 2006 at 5:02:20 pm

Thanks RIchard. I guess I didn't think of a web catalog or anything. I'm old school! Hell, just plan old!

Yeah. I think I've talked them into new monitors that I can calibrate and that should help. Once we upgrade, I'll do that. (Plus many of our printers are in China and that is another whole series of problems!)

What do you know about LCD vs CRT monitors for graphic design? Are CRT monitors still a lot better for color?

Thanks again. Your always a big help!

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]