FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting a document to .psd format

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Sutherland
Converting a document to .psd format
on Jan 10, 2006 at 1:36:49 am

I am an idiot, so let's get that out of the way right off the bat. I have a problem that I'm hoping there is an actual solution to *that doesn't involve recreating my work*

I was working on a PSD document(redundant?) for a company whos name has a .com at the end of it. It was late, and I clearly wasn't thinking, so I saved the file as companyname.com and closed photoshop. Not sure if anyone knows, but putting .com at the end instead of .psd makes it into an MS-DOS document. My question *and a very long winded one I'd say* is, can this be undone with a file rename somehow? I tried renaming it 'companyname.psd but it doesn't change it. Am I screwed??? Please help.

Return to posts index

renato
Re: Converting a document to .psd format
on Jan 10, 2006 at 2:56:11 am

first of all dont worry so much, its not a long question nor is it a dumb one...it can happen to anyone..

few things you could try: (sorry but I am just trying to give you some ideas, some of them may not work at all and I dont have photoshop on my PC to test it for you)

a) on photoshop go to file > open recent > companyname.com should be there somewhere..hopefully (I assume you already tried FILE > OPEN but doenst hurt to try)

b) are you familiar with DOS language? you could try to rename the file on a dos prompt..could work.. "copy companyname.com companyname.psd" (on the right directory) - might give you a different result then renaming it on windows

c) if you have a mac around, try opening it on the mac

d) if you want to send me a copy of the file I can try to convert to psd for you on my mac or on DOS..just send it to 420master@gmail.com

hope someone else will bring a solution in case none of this works.. good luck

kind regards
renato

Return to posts index

Jeremy Sutherland
on Jan 10, 2006 at 7:15:12 am

I appreciate the input. Due to crunch time on the file I had to end up recreating it and to be honest, it ended up BETTER the second time around which just makes me laugh! It was a happy mistake that lead to a better project because of it. Funny how these things happen. Anyway, I really appreciate your help and I will try to give some of the suggestions a try just for future reference, but I don't think it will work due to the original file being saved with the .com extension. Cheers!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Underbelly
on Jan 19, 2006 at 4:27:39 pm

Just a thought but the simple solution to this (at least on a Mac) is just to change it. Take you document name Blah.com and change it to Blah.psd. As far as I know (at least on the Mac) the extention is just a reference for the computer to open the Doc in the right program. By putting .com and the end did not change you document at all. You can not save a photoshop Document as word file. I can't happen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]