FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Photoshop Images in Film (Follow-up)

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sophie876
Using Photoshop Images in Film (Follow-up)
on Jan 5, 2006 at 11:07:25 pm

Hi again,

Okay, Hi to everyone especially you, Richard H.

I'm going to scan images into PS to use in an HD format and I need the images to be 1920 x 1080.
What do I set PS's "resolution" to...

300 dpi? (probably not, but not 72 either)
More?
Less?

I just have no idea.

Do I scan in the original size (say 6" x 4") and resize later or set the target to as close to the 1920 x 1080 pixel dimension as I can get?

How do you make the decision to save as a TIFF, TGA or PICT?

We're almost there... one last blast of answers should do it!

Thanks so much in advance.
Sophie

Return to posts index

del holford
Re: Using Photoshop Images in Film (Follow-up)
on Jan 6, 2006 at 5:07:23 pm

Hi Sophie
I try to oversample when I can for HD because I may use all or only part of the image and may want to move it around. I scan at 300 dpi and sometimes 600 dpi depending on how large or small the original image is. I also scale it 200-300% if needed on my Epson Expression scanner. It's much better to down-rez in HD than the reverse. Then you can resize the image to fit in the 1920x1080 format, cropping where necessary or adding a color ramp or texture behind the sidebars.

I save my files as tifs but native photoshop files or picts do equally well. If you need alpha channels the tif works best for my system so I tend to use them most often, alpha or not.

HTH

Return to posts index

Sophie876
on Jan 6, 2006 at 5:36:08 pm

Hi Del,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer. I just wanted to make sure about a few things because there are literally hundreds of images involved and much time and effort will be spent on the project.

I think I see what to do now....

Happy New Year!
Sophie

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 12, 2006 at 1:29:47 am

There is NO SUCH THING as DPI in Screen graphics

Your image is 1920 X 1080 pixels total

DPI is meaningless...

When scanning, set your scanner to measure in pixels... you can scan more tehn you need, then downsample if you want flexibility to crop or pan and scan

Suggest picking up PS for Nonlinear Editors or the DVD series I did.. as well as vising Photoshopforvideo.com

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors
Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]