FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop CS2 certification

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
herminiocordido
Photoshop CS2 certification
on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:05:24 am

Hi Guys, i am planning to get certified on Photoshop...
My Question is...
Does this certification really worth it?
is it like a really recognized certification for employers?
thanks guys...
cheers

Return to posts index

Troy E. Parker
Re: Photoshop CS2 certification
on Dec 23, 2005 at 2:30:41 pm

Hi,

Good questions...and ones that could generate a variety of responses, and given that no others have responded I will open the gates on this...

From my experience as both a creative type and employer, certificates of this nature can show a persons committment and dedication to a given discipline, and can enhance any Resume/CV.

That said, I do believe that the real deciding factor in any potential employment decision will largely be based on the applicants portfolio, and real world experience not only including proficiency with the required software & operating system, but also how well the applicant can organize time, communication and similar skills.

Not knowing your skills or experience and in a generic view of things, I would caution using the certification as your primary qualification when looking for work, as experienced employers will likely not view the Certification as the most important thing. In the past, I have had applicants fresh from art school with a folder full of certificates rate their photoshop skills on a scale of 1 to 10 as a 8 or 9 after just a couple years of experience. While this may be possible with the most gifted of artists, I think it really takes 4 or 5 years of consistent use to really get a handle on Photoshop, and then we start to understand how much more there is to learn!

My recommendation here is to always put your best foot forward, but best honest in your personal evaluations, and be ready to demonstrate your skills.

Areas the certification could really help are those in which the applicant has no other formal training, a structured corporate environment that promotes certifications, and instructional institutions that will require employees to have recognized certifications. Last but least maybe for the prospective client that may be impressed by a few titles after your name... In the ned it is your work that will make or break a deal, but hey it might help!

Bottomline from my perspective, if you have the time and can afford it (or better yet it is being paid for by a third party), it is probably a good idea!

I wish you the best in your efforts and keep coming back to the COW, it is a great place to learn, share with others and even have a quick laugh. I hope this helps, and please excuse any thoughts that may tend towards a personal rant...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Troy

troy@crossmediacorp.com
http://www.crossmediacorp.com

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on Dec 23, 2005 at 7:30:04 pm

The answer to this question depends greatly on the issuing body of the certificate and the specifics of the studies undertaken as a part of that course. If your certificate is from Steve's Skool of Photoshop, then value the certificate accordingly. If the course that you take is recognized and acknowledged by Adobe as a part of their training regiment, then the certificate holds significantly more value.

As a point of consideration, I've met and hired people with and without Adobe Photoshop certification, and there are instances when the certificate is the only positive to these people's work. So I think that it's fair to say that the certification does hold some merit in the eyes of employers. However, all the certification in the world will not make you actually perform if you don't have the internal tools necessary to use Photoshop efficiently and effectively.

As a quick assessment of my employment records for the year passing, I have hired 4 people who had certification and 6 who have not. Only one of them has performed at the level that I expect and maintained a working relationship with us, and he does not have a certificate of any kind

Return to posts index

Jim Kanter
on Dec 24, 2005 at 8:04:05 pm

ACE certification is required if you want to teach for an Adobe Certified training center.

Govenrments and large corporations seem to like seeing certifications in people's resumes, but that won't get you a job or a raise. Good work, a positive attitude and good reputation will do that.

If it makes you feel better about yourself then by all means get it.

Jim Kanter,
Digital Film Institute
http://www.dfilminst.com

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
on Dec 26, 2005 at 11:38:12 pm

I'd agree. I originally got certified because I thought it would give my resume some credibility, since I hadn't gone to school for graphic design. But nobody paid it much mind when I was interviewing. Once you get in the door, all that matters is your portfolio or demo reel. But it did give me more self confidence, so it was worth it to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]