FORUMS: list search recent posts

image resolution question

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryun Hovind
image resolution question
on Dec 6, 2005 at 3:12:06 am

I've used Photoshop for years, but everytime I go to use it I'm worried that I'll end up having my photos get resized and reset to 72 dpi.

1)Is there a way this happens automatically where you wouldn't realize it?

2) I had a photographer friend come take some pictures that were about 10-15 MB each, but in the properties window and in Photoshop it says they are only 72 dpi and 2288*1712 large. Are these low res images despite their large file sizes?

Thank you for helping me out, I've searched creativecalf and cow for answers on this and have had no luck.

RH

Return to posts index

Steve Kirkham
Re: image resolution question
on Dec 6, 2005 at 12:42:02 pm

When you open a file in Photoshop it is the dpi it is. So if it's 72dpi then it will stay 72 dpi unless you go to Image size and change it's properties. I'm not aware of any way Photoshop changes it "automatically" without you knowing.

As for your friends photos they wer presumably taken with a digital camera - which as you have rightly noted when you open in Photoshop and and check the properties they are 72dpi but huge!!!

I work with print for a lot of my work and more and more of the photos supplied by photographers are digital - hence 72dpi. If you want them to be 300dpi for print design the way to do it is open the file then go to "Image"... Image Size. In dilaog box turn off Resample Image. Then in Resolution type in 300. Size of photos Width and Height will become smaller. Bingo it's now a 300dpi image useable in any print project

Hope this helps
Steve Kirkham
Tree Frog Communication

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]