FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help I need to automate cropping of slide scans

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr_man15
Help I need to automate cropping of slide scans
on Nov 23, 2005 at 7:51:58 pm

Alrighty so I have 1500 slide scans and they all have black edges of varying thickness due to the slide mount which wasn't cropped out during scanning. I need a way to crop all these slides automatically, a plugin or something that will identify the mount and crop inside it. I am using Photoshop 7 Mac OSX. Thanks!

Return to posts index

mr_man15
Just tried CS2 "Crop And Straighten" -- not working too well
on Nov 23, 2005 at 11:28:36 pm

I just downloaded CS2 and tried the "Crop and Straighten" tool -- this isn't working very well with my slides. Sometimes it crops only one side of the mount, sometimes it crops all 4 sides but still leaves a little edge, sometimes it doesn't crop a damn thing. So hopefully somebody has an idea here or else its looking like I'm spending a few days manually cropping all these guys.

Return to posts index

Morris O.
Re: Just tried CS2 "Crop And Straighten" -- not working too well
on Nov 24, 2005 at 12:15:49 am

I don't have any slide files to test with but I put a black border on a 300dpi scanned photo. Then used Photoshop Elements 4.0's "IMAGE > DIVIDE SCANNED PHOTOS" and it cropped off the black perfectly. This worked with a black border around the photo or with black borders on the right side and bottom only. The Divide function works with white or black backgrounds, on one or multiple photos. If you have multiple slides in one image, it should straighten and crop all for you as long at there is sufficient border around each slide. Kicker is that there are no automate commands in PSE4.0 so you would have to do it manually but it sure beats straightening and cropping by hand.

You can download a fully functional demo copy from the Adobe web site. If you try it, do let us know if it works for slides.

Morris

Return to posts index

mr_man12
Re: Just tried CS2 "Crop And Straighten" -- not working too well
on Nov 25, 2005 at 9:15:12 pm

I decided to just do the crop manually, the actual cropping is pretty quick, opening and saving the files takes the most time (each one is a 61 MB TIFF). It's not too terrible, I'm through 500 so far.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]