FORUMS: list search recent posts

feathering selection

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wisabcon
feathering selection
on Nov 20, 2005 at 3:40:24 am

This is probably something very obvious that I am just missing. I want to make a selection with feathering set to 30 or so. From the selection I copy and paste to make a new layer of the selected portion with nice soft edges. I have done this a million times without having to think about it.

However, now, no matter what I do, my selection copy gets a hard edge. I can hit Control C after making the selection, create a new file and paste the clipboard to a nice feathered edge image, but when I try to do that within the original file all I get is hard edges. If I put a solid layer under the soft edge layer, it is fine. But when I turn off the visibility of the underlying layer, the edge goes back to hard.

This is driving me nuts. Please point out my obvious oversight. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: feathering selection
on Nov 20, 2005 at 6:13:07 pm

Choose Select Modify Feather OR Enter a Feather Value for the tool in the options bar BEFORE making a selection

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors
Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

wisabcon
Re: feathering selection
on Nov 20, 2005 at 6:22:40 pm

I have been doing just that all along. The layer created from copying and pasting a feathered selection looks just fine as long as there is a layer visible underneath. If I turn off the visibility of the underneath layer, the feathered copy/paste layer goes back to hard edges.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]