FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing clarity in crop

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kevinreddog
Losing clarity in crop
on Oct 8, 2005 at 2:57:37 pm

I have a 2.3Megapixel camera. I want to make an 8x10 print. When I crop a section of the image and print it, the print is grainy. I crop at 8 x 10 by 300ppi.

Do you increase or decrease the image size by say 20% before you crop? Would this help the clarity?

I would assume Photoshop "stretches" the pixels when you crop a section of the photo and select an 8x10 print. What is the best way to keep clarity when cropping and printing??

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Losing clarity in crop
on Oct 8, 2005 at 11:59:03 pm

Count your total pixels.... if you are enlarging the image by cropping to a larger total pixel dimension.. you'll have softening. You can also change your interpolation method in prefernces to bicubic sharper for enlargements or smoother for down converts.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors
Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

lriv
Re: Losing clarity in crop
by
on Oct 18, 2005 at 5:21:40 pm

Try increasing the ppi of your digital files to about 600, so that when you crop at 300, your image has enough information to keep clarity.

Return to posts index

Eric Holzapfel
Re: Crop and bicubic smoother
on Sep 14, 2010 at 3:28:09 am

Hello All,

Rather than re-post, I thought that I would ask here before I
post anew.

I have an "inverse" issue. I have scanned 35mm slides at 4000dpi.

I plan to print some of these at around 300 dpi or so.

So, am I enlarging the image, or making the image smaller?? I will guess
that as far as document size I am enlarging, and therefor should use
bicubic smoother for the interpolation. If I set bicubic smoother in the
image size dialog will the setting stay if I use the crop tool? It seems the setting is not maintained if I use the crop tool.

One other question, I am slso using some of the slides for a video.
Which is 72dpi. I use pixel dimensions of 1260x720 - can I assume I should use bicubic smoother for this as well? I have the same question in terms of the crop tool vs. the image size dialog. i.e.

If I set bicubic smoother in the image size dialog, is it saved when I use the crop tool?

Thanks again,

Eric

Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]