FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scanning photos

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
point&shoot
Scanning photos
on Aug 3, 2005 at 3:02:55 pm

Hello all. I am a video editor by trade, photographer by hobby. I have a Visoneer scanner and Photoshop 7. My problem is that if I scan a photo that looks good, when I get it into Photoshop it looks like crap. The color is off and it looks too "contrasty". Could this be from the paper the photo is printed on? What I am usually working with is someones 35mm snap shots, turning them into video montages. Besides photoshop I have a paperport program that came with the scanner. The scanner says it will do 2400 x 2400. Any help on techniques or programs is appreciated.

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
Re: Scanning photos
on Aug 3, 2005 at 6:36:16 pm

If the actual print looks ok, then the problem is most likely in your scanning settings.

Check that in the scanner settings you have default settings first. Try a scan. Also, make sure the bulb in the scanner doesn't flicker and is a full glow. Maybe the scanner has a mechanical problem..

Be sure there are no Sharpening boxes or options clicked. Auto sharpening just isn't as good as doing what you can in Photoshop if/when needed.

If the paper the print is on is highly textured, that could be affecting something, but it would most likely just show up as textured paper and wouldn't affect actual color. (Unless you get pyscho and start thinking about refraction of scanning light off of the various peaks/valleys of highly textured paper!!)

Try to set everything to basic: RGB, 8 bit, 300 dpi, no color nor sharpening compensation. Since you're going to video, it may work better to scan at a high res and then interpolate in Photoshop down to 72 rather than scanning at 72, but..you could try scanning around %150 at 72 and then scale down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]