FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need lower thirds help

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adguy31
Need lower thirds help
on Jul 5, 2005 at 3:04:42 pm

Hi all,

I was reading Richard Harrington's book on Photoshop for NLE. I went to page 109 to read about creating a lower third. I followed the process step by step but am still coming up with crappy results.

I created a new project, made it 720x480 with a transparent background, created a new layer, drew the lower third and then tried to apply the gradient. The problem here is the gradient covered the entire work area and wasn't just confined to the rectangle I just drew. So then I trashed that started over, drew a new rectangle, created a new layer and applied the gradient. This time everything worked and looked great. I tweaked the gradient to where I was completely satisfied with it and then tried to output to After Effects. I created an Alpha Channel for both layers but I when I imported it into AE only the solid color imported.

What am I doing wrong here or what have I overlooked. Can someone please simplify this for me as I have grasped the concept but can't seem to be able to export as well as I would like. Thanks.

Seth

wordtoyomutha

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Need lower thirds help
on Jul 5, 2005 at 3:34:04 pm

Be sure to read chapter on alpha channel and targeted flattening.

The technique in that chapter is to save as a flattened file such as PICT or Targa... it does not prep the layers for import into AE

There is both a chapter on Transparency and an Appendix on After Effects... both will contain additional info that you need. The book is written that you have started at the beginning and read linearly. It assumes you've learned things in previous chapters and does not repeat.

Good Luck

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors

Co-Author Final Cut Pro On The Spot & After Effects on the Spot

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

adguy31
on Jul 5, 2005 at 4:50:56 pm

Thanks Richard.

I will give it a try later. I assumed it prepped the .PSD for exporting into AE. Sorry for making that assumption. I do thoroughly enjoy the book. Thanks for the clarification.

Seth

wordtoyomutha

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 5, 2005 at 4:55:39 pm

It's a logical assumption that anything made in PS would import cleanly..

But MANY things do not (but we see improvement coming)

Keep askign Adobe for tighter integration

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors

Co-Author Final Cut Pro On The Spot & After Effects on the Spot

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]