FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dragging Layer Effects in Adobe Photoshop CS 2 - ADOBE MESSED UP AGAIN!!!!!!!

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
markpaterson
Dragging Layer Effects in Adobe Photoshop CS 2 - ADOBE MESSED UP AGAIN!!!!!!!
on Jul 3, 2005 at 10:10:47 pm

In Adobe Photoshop CS 1, you could drag a Layer Effect (such as Drop Shadow) from Layer A onto Layer B, and the effect would copy itself onto Layer B.

In Adobe Photoshop CS 2 when you try and do the same, the effect first removes itself from Layer A and then applies itself to Layer B, leaving Layer A with no drop shadow. As far as I can tell there is no way to duplicate a Layer Effect to another layer, whilst keeping it on the orignal layer. I have tried holding down CTRL, ALT, APPLE, SHIFT, etc but no luck. You would not BELIEVE how much this slows down my workflow. Argggh!

Any solutions?

And here's my Adobe rant...

Why oh WHY do Adobe play around with the layers on EVERY update? eg - in CS 1, we had that lovely 'feature' that would select layers that were switched off. So if you clicked in an image to edit some text, you could end up editing text that was hidden. It appears to have been fixed in CS 2, though I could still be wrong.

And as for CS 2? Even though multiple layer selection is cool and long overdue, the new layer linking mechanism STINKS!

If they have to update something, how about just giving each app a consitant interface?

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: Dragging Layer Effects in Adobe Photoshop CS 2 - ADOBE MESSED UP AGAIN!!!!!!!
on Jul 4, 2005 at 3:10:30 am

I haven't tried CS2 yet, but can you no longer right click (Mac OPTION click) and "copy layer styles" then paste them to another layer? Even if that does still work, it's a couple extra clicks so I can't think of a logical reason Adobe would remove the abilty to drag & drop them.

Return to posts index

Jayse
Re: Dragging Layer Effects in Adobe Photoshop CS 2 - ADOBE MESSED UP AGAIN!!!!!!!
on Jul 4, 2005 at 6:29:45 am

Ah yeah - it's a bit hidden and I had to figure it out for myself here - they've replaced that with the less intuitive 'alt+drag' -

Alt/option dragging is Adobe's duplicate shortcut so I figured I'd try it - and it works. You can do it with individual properties as well - just a shadow for instance - although it doesn't highlight the single property to indicate that it's the one being duped. Odd - less intuitive, like I said - but it all still works at least.

I also have a few CS2 video tutes for free at http://www.xeler8r.com that explains things like that.

Hope that helps!

// jayse

Ultimate After Effects Video Training CDs

Free Photoshop CS Video Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Jul 6, 2005 at 1:54:21 pm

You can also alt drag the word effect to copy all the effects from one layer to another.

Return to posts index

sbparke
on Jul 13, 2005 at 2:08:32 am

ahhhhhhhhh what a relief........thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]