FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cropping - Screws up all of my layer effects!!! Any way to keep layer effects intact when you crop???

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damon Hoydysh
Cropping - Screws up all of my layer effects!!! Any way to keep layer effects intact when you crop???
on Jun 28, 2005 at 6:45:21 pm

Several of my layers have drop shadows, outer glows, etc. When I crop my canvas, all of these settings get wiped out - i.e. the drop shadows and outer glows change their values. Then I've got to go in and adjust each one. Any way to keep layer effects intact when you crop???

Thanks,
Daon

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Cropping - Screws up all of my layer effects!!! Any way to keep layer effects intact when you crop???
on Jun 28, 2005 at 7:41:24 pm

The reason is that cropping, changing the canvase size or using trim will get rid of the pixels outside the new canvas size. What you need to do is:
METHOD A
1) create a new document to the final size you need.
2) Link all the layers together in the dopucmetn with the artwork
3) hold down shift and drag all these layers to your new document

METHOD B
An alternative method you would put a vector layer mask on a set containing your artwork, but this method would leave a larger image with tranparent background when you place in lets say InDesign or AE. You would also have to turn on the blending option for Vector mask hides effcts

I think it is great that Phothsop crops and gets rid of extra pixels, but would be nice to have an option to retain the pixels in a floating layer, so that effect such as Bevel Emboss don't look differetn after cropping.

Return to posts index

Damon Hoydysh
Re: Cropping - Screws up all of my layer effects!!! Any way to keep layer effects intact when you crop???
on Jun 28, 2005 at 7:58:59 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]