FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help!

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
martin
Help!
on Jun 24, 2005 at 10:03:04 am

All the tools in Photoshop are slow in movement, in AE the tools are working fine so I think it is a program error and not a pc problem. A week ago every thing was fine..
When I use the eraser it's more noticeable, not smooth in action very jagged, jumpy,nervous movement.
Can anyone shed some light!
Martin

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Help!
on Jun 24, 2005 at 2:20:41 pm

Don't know which version but when I was using CS (now on CS2 and oh so much better for video) my memory allocation was 90% for PS. Sometimes the PC just doesn't like PS and slows way down. Check all your settings, then exit and restart. Sometimes that helps. HTH.
Del

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Jun 25, 2005 at 2:31:18 pm

As Del suggested, first make sure you have enough memory avaialble to PS, but also keep in mind PS is a resource intensive program and can bog down if you have too many other apps open or too many background processes running...that varies depending on your system specs (CPU, RAM, etc.). The same can happen if you're working with unusually large files and/or unusually high resolution, but again depends on system specs.

Return to posts index

martin
on Jun 26, 2005 at 8:49:55 am

A closer inspection have revealed it is not just PH but all the programs but when useing the eraser in PH cs it is more noticeable, the smooth flowing action is not what I had a week ago it's impossible to do any fine detail work......Any other sugestions?

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Jun 26, 2005 at 2:33:37 pm

Then it seems it is a system problem...investigate everything that has changed between now and when the problem started:
new software/plugin/update installs may have introduced a software conflict
background tasks...one should always be familiar with what should be vs. what is running
downloads may have introduced a virus, spyware or the like

It sounds very much like something that you don't know about is using up system resources (CPU, RAM, etc.) so I'd start with a good virus scan, then the task manager (don't recall what the Mac equivalent is called), but be careful if you're not familiar with using it.

Return to posts index

martin
on Jun 28, 2005 at 2:17:42 pm

Done virus scan, What do I do with task manager?....Also used restore but that did'nt work.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Jun 29, 2005 at 2:18:33 am

Not to overstate the obvious, but a virus scan won't do much good if 1) virus definitons aren't current 2) the problem is spyware, adware or the like, which can have a similar effect in that they hog system resources without you knowing.

That's where the Task Manager (and/or software like SpyBot) comes in for diagnostic purposes (a firewall and/or softwre like Symantec Internet Security can help with prevention). If you're not already familar with the Task Manager, I won't be able to give you an adequate explanation here...plus it's only helpful when you've got a reference point. For example, I always take a screenshot of the processes running in a systems TM as soon as the system is first fully loaded (O/S & all critical software & drivers), but before it ever sees the web or a network. That way, I can compare that list to the TM at any time to see if there's something running in the background that shouldn't be (adware, spyware, virus, etc.).

The TM basically lists all the processes (software, etc.) that are running on your PC, tells you how your system's resources are being used and allows you to force quit processes when necessary. But, I wouldn't suggest messing with it if you don't know what you're doing. We're getting way off the topic of PS problems so you're best bet is probabaly to get an IT pro to look at your system then, once the problem is resolved, make sure it is properly protected thereafter. Also, keep in mind there are other things that can cuase similar problems (bad RAM, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

martin
on Jun 29, 2005 at 11:50:12 am

I have scaned for spyware, adware with, Spyware stoper, Spybot, spyware nuker, Ad-aware,and microsoft spyware, Yes there was some adware present but the pc is still slow, what I have found is afer running Start-up machanic "ctfmon.exe" Every time I remove this, when I resart my computer it comes back.
Also when I run TM there is nothing running in the background only the program I'm working with.
Anyway I think you are right to suggest I need to take the computer in for a check up.
Thanks for your help Dave All the best
Martin

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Jun 30, 2005 at 1:26:52 am

Glad to be some help, but wish your problem was actually resolved. There might be something lingering from the adware/spyware you found since they can be extremely hard to eliminate...the best solution is prevention.

According to the http://www.answersthatwork.com/ task list, "ctfmon.exe" is a standard part of XP. You're right that you should get the PC looked at since it could be a hardware problem or something else.

The best of us have dealt with similar problems...the most important thing is that you learn from the experience and protect your PC...especially if it makes your living.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]