FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to replace color of rendered, antialiased text?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Jammin
Best way to replace color of rendered, antialiased text?
on Jun 24, 2005 at 12:03:25 am

I have hundreds of gifs with basically 2 colors in them: white bg and a 24-pt blue colored text. There are a few intermediate colors to provide for the antialiasing.

I want to change the color of the text in all these graphics to a certain color (having the aliasing go along) but without changing the white background at all. And I'd like to find a worflow that I can save as an action to automate this to do all these images...

I cannot find a good way to replace the color of the font though! The closest I can get is by adjusting the Master lightness in the hue/saturation dialog, but it's not quite matching the color I want that's selected in my color picker. I've also tried the new Color Replacement tool but maybe I don't understand it. It's not replacing the darkest color I want to change with my color picker's foreground color.

Could someone point me to a tutorial or method which would allow me to select the narrow range of colors that compose my text, and replace them with the new hue I want, keeping the appropriate lightness values of the aliasing? If I can figure this out it would save hours of manually retyping the text, and I'll feel so much smarter!

8 years of photoshopping and I still haven't explored half the things I can do with it!

Return to posts index

Andrei Lutic
Re: Best way to replace color of rendered, antialiased text?
on Jun 24, 2005 at 5:57:54 am

I guess I would do the following:

- convert the image to RGB (image/mode/rgb color)
- ctrl+alt+` (this will create a selection)
- click the quick mask in the toolbar
- go to image/adjustments/levels and move the black slider to the right until you meet the frist black stripe in the histogram. (you apply this levels adjustment to the quick mask).
- go back to the marching ants selection mode
- make a new layer
- ctrl+shift+i to invers the selection
- fill it with your foreground color alt+backspace
- deselect, unlock the background layer and fill it with white

You can make an action with this
I hope it helps :)

Return to posts index

Ben Wood
on Jun 24, 2005 at 4:48:43 pm

I'd like to try this but I'm not sure what you mean by a couple of the steps.

- ctrl+alt+` (this will create a selection)

Is that ctrl,alt, and the single quote key next to Return all at the same time? This and variations with the modifier keys aren't doing anything for me. What exactly is this selecting?

- click the quick mask in the toolbar

What toolbar - you mean in the channels pallette? When I make any kind of selection (like select all) I don't see a quick mask appear anywhere onscreen.

Return to posts index

Andrei Lutic
on Jun 24, 2005 at 6:52:11 pm

The ` key is on the left of 1 (one) on my keyboard, it also has the ~ sign on it. If I remember well, this shortcut is creating a selection based on the lightness values in your image.

By the toolbar I meant the tools pallette.. where you have the tools in photoshop (like marquee, move tool etc). The button for the quick mask looks like a rectangle with a circle in it. You also may switch to quick mask and off using the leter Q on the keyboard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]