FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I? (Photoshop CS - layer flattening)

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael C.
How do I? (Photoshop CS - layer flattening)
on May 23, 2005 at 9:57:25 pm

I'm using a photoshop file with layers for a DVD project. DVD Studio Pro reads all the layers fine EXCEPT for the ones with effects (like shadows, bevel, glow, etc) on them.

I've tried rasterizing them and this doesn't get DVD Studio Pro to see the effect either.

How can I "flatten" the layer so that the effect is just embeded in the layer? I know that one way is to make EACH layer a fully flattened layer, but that really isn't required... It sees layers, it just doesn't see effects on the layers.

I'd like to be able to contain it to the existing layer because the DVD is already authored to know what layers to turn off and on and different times. If I add or subtract layers, I'll need to do quite a bit of re-authoring in DVDSP.

Thanks for any tips!

Return to posts index

Jayse
Re: How do I? (Photoshop CS - layer flattening)
on May 24, 2005 at 12:16:00 am

yeah - a bit of a pain. But - you can add a blank layer above and name it the same as the one you are replacing. Then hit CMD+E.

This will flatten the 'effected' layer to the new blank layer. Now delete the effected layer and Studio Pro should see it the same (if named the same)

Hope that helps.

Also keep a version of the file with the effects live for future changes.

// jayse

Ultimate After Effects Video Training CDs

Free Photoshop CS Video Tutorials

by jayse!

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on May 24, 2005 at 3:04:23 am

yeah, that was my plan... sort of...

Is there a way to put a blank layer below (so I don't have to copy paste the name and then delete)? and then just merge down?

Return to posts index

Jayse
on May 26, 2005 at 1:59:10 pm

Can you upgrade to CS2?

This is actually a very HUGE overlooked feature - you can convert the one (or multiple) layer(s) to a smart object. When you save this psd MOST programs read the smart object as a normal, flattened layer. However, when you open it back up in PS - you've got it fully editable (layer styles and all)

I've got some vid-tutes on xeler8r and soon here at the Cow as well on how to do this.

Sounds like just what you're looking for.

// jayse

Ultimate After Effects Video Training CDs

Free Photoshop CS Video Tutorials

by jayse!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]