FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I non-destructively add 'File Info' to an image?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wireframe
Can I non-destructively add 'File Info' to an image?
on May 19, 2005 at 3:58:20 am

I've got lots of digital photographs (JPEGs) stored away, and wanted to add File Info to the images, such as keywords and descriptions.

As far as I know, I must then resave the image, and Photoshop will then recompress the JPEGs, losing quality.

Is there any way around this? Is there any way to add File Info without recompressing the JPEGs? I'm currently using the older Photoshop 7.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
Re: Can I non-destructively add 'File Info' to an image?
on May 20, 2005 at 3:28:00 am

Externally, not unless you're using a cataloging software of some kind. But, if the files were originally saved at the highest setting, you can resave them as a Tiff with LZW and not lose anything. Otherwise, if you need even more space, save them all to cd/dvd and don't worry.

However, if a file is saved without much compression, reopened and resaved at the least compression it will keep just fine.

Pixel freaks will complain......as they're zoomed in at 200% on a 32 bit color image....please.

Return to posts index

wireframe
Re: Can I non-destructively add 'File Info' to an image?
on May 24, 2005 at 6:13:55 am

Thanks for answering, Thumbslinger.

How do people manage all the thousands of JPEG photos they're taking on their digital cameras? People must often have many thousands of JPEGs. How do they find the photo they are looking for?

I'm really surprised if Adobe hasn't addressed this.

Putting keywords into the File Info would be great if it didn't change the image. Unfortunately, it seems if you want to add some keywords it will cause Photoshop to resample the entire image,

This will cause either a degradation in image quality or an increase in file size. It makes the keyword feature useless for JPEG images, the most common image format there is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]