72res vs 300 ASAP PLEASE

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rp
72res vs 300 ASAP PLEASE
by
on May 12, 2005 at 2:29:21 pm

hello-
creating a postcard- res is set at 300- i have tif files from client- they come in at 72 - but is that because my settings are set for web work?
also- as i resize the photos for the print work- should i set image size with the 300 res- or do i leave the photos at 72?
thanks!

Return to posts index

maxrez
Re: 72res vs 300 ASAP PLEASE
on May 12, 2005 at 4:07:12 pm

rp,

The entire layout should be at 300 dpi for print work. The photos from the client should be at 300 dpi as well. Are you creating a new layout starting at 300 dpi and copying the photos into the layout? or are you creating a postcard from the photos at 72 dpi? Photos that are left at 72 dpi will be jagged and look terrible if printed by a commercial printer this way.

Steve

Return to posts index

rp
by
on May 12, 2005 at 4:42:49 pm

starting with a fresh layout. set the res for all the work at 300- he gave me tiffs. but my default must be at 72- because when i click on the pixs- they show up as 72. when i select all then copy over to new file- i set the res at 300 at that time.
the pixs are coming from his digital camera.
most of my work is web stuff- so i wasnt sure about this.
do you think selecting all and copying over at 300- will be okay?
thanks for reply!
rp

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on May 12, 2005 at 4:55:56 pm

Resolution is really an easy topic that confuses people. Lets say you are designing 5" x 3" postcard, you would want an image that has atlerast 1500 x 900 pixels. It is not that import whether your image is 72dpi or 300dpi, what is important is that you have 100 x 900 or more original pixels.

What I do to make things easy is resave the image at 300dpi, but not adding or deleting pixels, this allows me to place or open the image at 100% in my layout program, knowing that I cannot scale the image bigger or else I fall below the 300 dpi quality level.

Open you tif in Photoshop
choose image >> image size
remove the check from resample image
change resolution from 72 to 300
(you will notice that the width and height chanegs but not the total pixels. Therefore you are not scaling the pixels, but changing their density from 72 to 300 making the image smaller in dimension, but denser in the amount of pixles per square inch.)

Return to posts index

rp
by
on May 12, 2005 at 5:09:51 pm

i tired your technique just now - but am having trouble resizing them. after i have followed your instructions - the files are about 6.827x5.12 inches. i need to reduce them to about 3x2.
but when i attempt this- they are not getting smaller. and when i type in the new numbers the res jumps up to 512. what am i doing wrong?

Return to posts index

maxrez
on May 12, 2005 at 5:28:14 pm

rp,

Maybe you don't have the resample box checked and your dpi is adjusting. Otherwise, what Mike said is right on.

Steve

Return to posts index

rp
by
on May 12, 2005 at 5:49:15 pm

i think i've got it- once i resize with the sampling unchecked- then i resize down to what i need- with the sampling button now checked- and that permits the constraints option to work. right?

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
on May 13, 2005 at 12:23:46 am

Here's the easy way. Size everything by just scaling and getting it right. Use proportional scaling if possible, if not, just write down the numbers you used.

Open each client photo as a new document. Use the Cropping tool and set the size to be the previous numbers. Enter 300 in the resolution box. Draw with the cropping tool, hit enter/return and voila

Select all, copy and paste.

The files from a digital camera are usually 72 dpi unless the user knows what they are doing. But, they're large like 17" by 11" or even larger. So, when you scale them down in a layout program, the resolution increases.

The main thing is that they are captured with at least 3 megapixels and are clear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]