FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can anyone recommend ways of adding texture to flat colours in photoshop?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Haskett
Can anyone recommend ways of adding texture to flat colours in photoshop?
on Apr 29, 2005 at 11:37:48 am

Hi there

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on adding textures to the flat colours that you get when creating shapes in photoshop. Like ways of creating rougher edges and stuff so it looks more like a screenprint? If you look at this guys work it is kind of what I mean - http://www.timmarrs.co.uk I really like the way his colours arent just flat.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Return to posts index

Jeff Cochran
Re: Can anyone recommend ways of adding texture to flat colours in photoshop?
on Apr 29, 2005 at 10:47:58 pm

Try using transfer modes in your layers pallette. I use Screen, Multiply and color quite often. Transfer modes allows a layer to interact with the layers beneath it. (Multiply darkens, Screen lightens and color, well you get it).

Tim Marrs is gathering a lot of textures either from photos or creating painterly effects in painter. You can do the same. Take a camera out and just shoot textures or find some stock on-line that you like. You can also create your own with filters such as noise, blur and sharpen (Find a texture you like and apply an un-sharp mask to it with an amount of 500 and pixel radius of 20). I'd also suggest learning to use your layer masks and alpha channels for adding texture. Try taking a textured image, use the Curves or levels tool to blow out the highlights and shadows, then use that texture as a layer mask for a flat color, place that layer over another image and give the layer a transfer mode of color, and see what you get.

Play (and I do mean play) with a couple of those ideas. I'll see if I can gather some examples later.

Have fun

Jeff Cochran

http://www.jeffcochrandigitalartist.com/

Return to posts index

Daniel Haskett
on Apr 30, 2005 at 3:32:41 pm

Wow cool thanks for your help, I will look into doing that, just need a digital SLR to take the photos! Also whats that bit about an unsharp mask, what exactly is that and how do you change the values? Also I dont really know about alpha channels, what exactly are they and do you know how I can use them?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Return to posts index

Jeff Cochran
on May 2, 2005 at 3:28:10 am

Unsharp mask is under the filters drop down menu > Sherpen. Unsharp mask is a way of sharpening your image (ignore the name unsharp). Unsharp mask will increase the contrast between pixels to sharpen an image. I usually use a value of 100, 1.0 and 0 to sharpen up a scanned image. Try ramping the values up and see what kind of results you get.

An alpha channel is something that is used commonly in the video industry as a transparency mask. Photoshop sees channels as the different color plates in your document.(I.e. CMYK or RGB) the channels represent each color (i.e. Cyan channel). BUT, you can also create a number of additional channels in your document. Best example of this would be to take a color image, copy and paste it to a new channel, creating a grayscale image from it. You'll find the channel palette under the windows pull down menu. The benefit of doing this is now you can make a selection out of the grayscale image. Hold down the Apple key and click on the channel icon in the channel menu (This also work for making a layer a selection). Now, this has made a multi transparent selection out of the image. White will be select 100%, 50% Grey will be selected 50% and black won

Return to posts index

Daniel Haskett
on May 2, 2005 at 4:31:31 pm

Brilliant, thanks for the help, really appreciate it. Just need to try and get my head around the alpha channel stuff and how I can use it for my work!

Will let you know how it goes,

cheers

dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]