FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I read/edit Mac Photoshop files on a Windows PC?

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Content Lab
How do I read/edit Mac Photoshop files on a Windows PC?
on Apr 25, 2005 at 5:49:02 pm

Hello,

I have about 100 CD-R's with Mac formatted Photoshop files on them that our previous graphics editor handed over to us to put to hard drive for better archival. However my lab is Windows only. How can I copy the Mac formatted files to my Win2k or WinXP machines and then edit them in Photoshop on those same Windows machines? Is this even possible? I do have access to a Mac with OS9.x if that can help in the copy process.

Thanks,

Jason

Return to posts index

Troy E. Parker
Re: How do I read/edit Mac Photoshop files on a Windows PC?
on Apr 25, 2005 at 6:54:51 pm

hey Content Lab....

Not to fear..... this is a everyday run of the mill operation for psd files. Photoshop files like many graphics programs is platform independant, with just few interface/keystroke/short cut differences. We routinely creat on the MAC and make changes on our PC's for web output etc.

The only issue I can see would be the MAC CD's most liely don not have file extensions on the PSD files (MAc reads them just fine this way), and upon import the PC may not know what kind of file it is.

To Fix:
>right-click on go to 'rename'
> add .psd to file and it will now be assigned to Photoshop

You could right click and perform an 'Open with' but this takes longer wiht searching for Application etc.

Regards,
Troy

Return to posts index

Content Lab
on Apr 25, 2005 at 10:06:30 pm

What application are you using that lets the Windows PC read Mac formatted CDs. The first hurdle I'm facing now is getting my Win2k machine to read CDs created on a Mac9.x machine. When I put these CDs into my CD or DVD-rom drive Windows doesn't even see them.

Thanks,

Jason

Return to posts index

Troy E. Parker
on Apr 25, 2005 at 10:27:08 pm

ah...I missed that part of the equation. Ther are couple of different ways to handle this, as yes, under most circumstances the PC will not read the MAC formatted CD's , and I am not up to date on what software to use to do a direct read.

1. Copy CD's on your Mac using Toast to a Mac/PC compatible file and then it should read fine. This will work, but lots of time to make it happen.

2. Network the two machines together via a CAT5 and transfer to PC. This can be done in OS9, I just cannot remember how, but in OSX is is very easy. THis compter I am using is one of Four on my network (two macs / two PC's) that all share a PC based server for media files.

It might be worth the upgrade......A few other options, but this should get you started.

Hope this helps,
Troy

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Apr 29, 2005 at 9:44:46 pm

Install a copy of Mac Opener on your PC and it will read Mac discs with no problem. There are 2 or 3 other utilities that also let you open Mac files on PC.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]