FORUMS: list search recent posts

Parent Child Compositing

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joost
Parent Child Compositing
on Apr 19, 2005 at 9:35:27 am

This may be a silly question for some of you experts, but OK, I will ask it anyway...

For video editing I work with Sony Vegas, and I love the parent-child compositing technique. I want to do something similar with still images in Photoshop. I see all the possibilities with layers in Photoshop, but I can't find a way to make a parent-child composite. Can anyone shed some light into my darkness?

For those who are not familiar with the term: in parent-child compositing two images (A and B) are mixed by way of a third image (C), which is a greyscale image. A white pixel in C means image A is visible, a black pixel in C means image B is visible. A grey pixel in C determines a mix of image A and B. This is in essense what I want with my stills.

Any help is very welcome. Thanks.

Joost

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
Re: Parent Child Compositing
on Apr 19, 2005 at 1:42:02 pm

This is the only way coming to mind - basically, use a positive of your Layer C as a mask on one layer, and a negative of it as a mask on the other.

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Apr 20, 2005 at 10:30:50 am

Hi Kim,

If both layers were fully opaque to start with, there's no need to do it for the bottom layer too.
Because at a input value of 50% grey,
both layers would be at 50 % opacity, wich does not add up to 100%

And here's a faster way;

• Get the three layers situated in your file
  • make only layer C visible
  • switch to channels and command-click on the RGB-channel -> turns the grayscale equivalent into a selection
  • hide layer C, show layer A & B
  • Select layer B (you should still sea the 'marchin ants' of your complex selection.
  • click on the layer-mask icon -> it automatically creates a layer mask that's equal to the current selection

If that's wrong, you should invert the mask.

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
on Apr 20, 2005 at 12:27:36 pm

Oh duh :) Yer right, of course.

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on Jul 9, 2015 at 1:45:30 am

I realize this is a very old post, but thought I'd share... select a layer in photoshop and press control+alt+G (on a PC). This will make it a child of the layer below. Make that child layer a multiply layer and put your mask in it with one of the images the parent (directly below), and the other below that. ...just another way to accomplish the same thing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]