FORUMS: list search recent posts

Printers

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Walsh
Printers
on Apr 7, 2005 at 4:36:04 am

I would like suggestions on a good printer to purchase.
Mainly for printing photo's etc.
At present I am using an Epson Photo 810 and its driving me crazy.
If I do not use it for a day or so it wont print first time, I have to go through the head cleaning process about 4 times then its o/k.
This even applies straight after new cartridges have been fitted.
So needless to say I am going through cartridges like nobody's business.
So I think its time for a change.
Thanks
wallie

Return to posts index

jason white
Re: Printers
on Apr 7, 2005 at 7:47:23 am

Hi Norman, I've owned 2 Epson photo printers in the past and was definately happy with the print quality of them but I got kind of frustrated with other Epson things like the way it would refuse to print b/w documents when the "smart chip" colour cartridge claimed itself empty. Other issues being the "smart chip" never letting me see it physically run out of colour - just it's claim. So little things like that, anyway I decided to try another manufacturer and I went with a Canon and I got the i960 and I've had it 2 months and actually can't comment on the above scenerios because I haven't yet run out of my 1st batch of ink, but I've not had to clean the nozzles once and am very impressed with that. On my epson's, I would always do a nozzle check before committing to printing any photo, and then follow the check up with several rounds of cleaning - wasting ink on all colours and black - but with the i960 I just go ahead and print. It's hard to imagine going back to the Epson way of printing, wasting ink and time simultaneously. So that would be my recommendation, the Canon i960 - the print quality is great too. I believe the lack of cleaning the nozzles is the norm with Canon printers, and I can also see why Epson probably doesn't want to bother solving the problem seeing as it's a great way to get you back in the store sooner.

jason

Return to posts index

Norman Walsh
on Apr 7, 2005 at 4:22:07 pm

Thanks Jason

Return to posts index

MarkCarrara
on Apr 7, 2005 at 5:03:11 pm

I gave up on ink jets a few years back. For photos in A4 size I use an Olympus p400 dye sublimation printer. For anything bigger I send it out to mpix.com

Return to posts index

jim
by
on Apr 7, 2005 at 5:15:14 pm

I've owned numerous printers over the years. Currently use an Epson R200 most of the time.

My thinking - lower-cost printers are a very competitive business and each brand has pluses and minuses.

My Epson always prints a drop-dead gorgeous image (on good paper, anyway.) And most of the cleaning cycles required by some ealier models have been eliminated. Downside: Ink cartridges still cost more than it seems they should.

Opinion: Printer manufacturers have gone out of their way to make it difficult to compare brands and determine the real cost of photo-quality ink-jet printing. Just try to compare the per-print/per-page cost of the various makers, and you find that there are no reliable standards out there. If I remember correctly, I have a printer that gets "260 pages of .7% black coverage printed in draft mode." Whatever that means... If I'm buying a photo-printer, what I want to know is how many 8x10 photos can I print with a set of ink cartridges. (BTW - my average is about 40-45)

Reminds me a bit of the specs-manship of the home-audio industry in the 70s and 80s - "...a million watts peak power, .000000000267% distortion...."

Sorry - guess I got off on a rant there. ;-) I like the Epson R200 that I currently own.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]