FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Timer Workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Doe
First Timer Workflow
on May 19, 2008 at 9:42:32 pm

I will be cutting with RED footage for this first time in the coming weeks. I had a few questions and would love to hear any pointers you all may have.

First off, my plan is to have co-worker of mine who is a colorist sit in with me on the first pass through REDcine in the hopes that he can give me insight on the color correction side of things as we both try to figure out the program itself.

Following that first pass I will most likely go out to DVCPro HD as that is the highest end my system at home can handle (Mac Pro Quad core 3.0ghz, 6 gig ram, 1.5 TB RAID 0 internal).

After I finish my cut should I make the final tweaks to the color with REDcine on the 4k files, or go with the other plan of outputting to tape and having my friend make the final color correction on the the DaVinci 2K?

Questions, Comments welcome, I would love the feedback

Thanks all,

Matt

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: First Timer Workflow
on May 19, 2008 at 11:22:36 pm

[Matt Doe] "First off, my plan is to have co-worker of mine who is a colorist sit in with me on the first pass through REDcine in the hopes that he can give me insight on the color correction side of things as we both try to figure out the program itself. "

REDCINE currently renders out to QuickTime at about a 25:1 ratio. On your computer, it will probably be more like 30:1. So if you have an hour of footage, it will take about 30 hours to export it. I would only do this step once if I were you. I'd much rather use the Log and Transfer plug-in and bring them in to FCP at closer to a 3-4:1 ratio.

Also a Quad Mac Pro can easily handle ProRes as long as you have enough storage.

When you're done editing, I would either use the ProRes files in Color or use a Crimson workflow to render out your edl in REDCINE. Then it's up to you how you color.

Also, finishing at 4K is pointless for the majority of RED users right now. I'd suggest 2K as a general rule.

If you give some more specifics about your project, we can give some more advice on workflow. How much footage are you shooting? What delivery are you finishing for?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on May 20, 2008 at 4:28:22 am

I tired a DVCPRO HD out from Red Cine and the results were dreadful. Pro Res has produced some very nice results. Test before you do a big batch render.

Chris Bell

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on May 20, 2008 at 8:00:02 am

Second this. You should be using ProRes HQ, which at HD resolution will run just fine off your internal RAID - I have one in my octo-core.

Although the REDCine route is slower, the results are undoubtedly better than the log and transfer route (although that can yield sharp results), so do a one-light in REDCine and a proper transfer to 1080 or 2K for your FCP edit - I think it's an excellent idea to have your colourist friend around for this. Make your one-light neutral, giving yourself as much to play with in Color as you can. You can also trim clips in REDCine so you are not transferring unwanted footage - this could save many hours of rendering. You can use this route to make 2K prores files, but I'm not sure what video output device you have. I assume you're using a Kona or BMD card to output to a good monitor? If not, don't bother trying colour correction at all at home. Output your final edit as DPX or similar (plenty of disk space required!) so it can be used on the Da Vinci, which is obviously a better colour correction tool than Color.

Don't finish in 4K, there's just no point.

Ben

Return to posts index

Matt Doe
on May 20, 2008 at 3:20:56 pm

You may have seen my previous post about the opencut.org editing competition.

That is where my footage is coming from, they say 170 gigs, not sure how much time that equals. In the end it is destined for an HD h264 720p file to upload for the judges. They say the film is judged not only on the edit but the overall finishing which is why I got my colourist friend involved as well as a post sound guy I know.

I will be doing the editing on my quad core, with ProRes HQ from what you guys have said, and the actual output for the DaVinci will be done at my work through a Kona Card going to probably SR I guess for the color correct, then I will recapture and compress for the competition.

In the end, if I win, the opencut people through their sponsors will take over and do 4K color correction and conforming, but I want to end up with as polished a piece as possible to upload for the judges.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]