FORUMS: list search recent posts

downloaded .R3D files, now what?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bryce hoover
downloaded .R3D files, now what?
on May 2, 2008 at 2:23:54 am

we had some RED footage to play with, but it's gone AWOL - someone deleted it. so I downloaded several R3D files from Redrelay.net to play with. on my own I guess I'm missing something...so am I correct in thinking that I can't do anything with R3D and FCP 6.0.2...i'd have to take them into REDCine and convert to ProRes to work with them. I'm trying to get a handle on the workflow at home in my spare time with my MBP (Intel) and I'm floundering. thanks in advance for any and all input.

-bh

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: downloaded .R3D files, now what?
on May 2, 2008 at 3:51:40 am

If you download the FCP codec and the beta version of the Red Log and Transfer for FCP, you might be able to import them into FCP as ProRes (much faster than using RedCine).

If you're just playing around with R3D files, it might help to install RedAlert so you can recreate the QuickTime proxies. Then you can take those files into FCP.

Play around and if you come up with more questions, feel free to come back and ask.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

bryce hoover
on May 2, 2008 at 6:08:21 pm

I can't seem to get the R3D files to load into FCP 6.0.3, QT 7.4.5 (25) or (67), and I have downloaded and installed the RED codec for QT.

When I try to bring files into the interface, and when I try to point to a folder, it tells me:
"filename.R3D" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

am i doing something wrong?

-bh

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 2, 2008 at 6:49:14 pm

Did you download the Log and Transfer Beta from the RED support page too? You need both the codec and the Log and Transfer Beta.

Also, I believe that it requires an Intel Mac. What are the specs on your system?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 2, 2008 at 7:16:41 pm

Did the files you downloaded come with their QuickTime proxies? If not, get RedAlert from their site and generate new ones. You should then be able to use these proxies right away in FCP or ingest as ProRes with the Log&Transfer tool.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Bryce Hoover
on May 9, 2008 at 8:18:28 pm

I have the log and transfer plugin, the codec installed, the 6.0.3 FCP update, the 7.4.5 QT update, and I get this when I try to import a shot:

"STS122MichaelSHastings2-3" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

"STS122MichaelSHastings2-3" is the name of a folder that houses a .R3D file by the same name. I downloaded this file to learn how to work with RED in FCP. I am waiting for a drive with shots and their QT proxies. Until then, I wanted to play around with these R3D files I downloaded. Should these files work? They're huge files (2GB).

Thanks!

-bh

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 9, 2008 at 9:20:25 pm

Sorry, but you didn't answer my questions: Are there QT-Proxies in the same folder?

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 10, 2008 at 4:26:49 am

Can you open the clips in RedAlert? Check to see if it's 16x9 instead of 2:1. If it is, that explains why you're having problems as 16x9 isn't supported in QuickTime yet.

Also, it's not just the R3D file that you need. There are other file that come in the folder that are important (I'm not sure why, but that's the word on the street).

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 12, 2008 at 2:37:45 pm

[Bryce Hoover] "STS122MichaelSHastings2-3" is the name of a folder that houses a .R3D file by the same name"

try taking the hyphen out out of the file name....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]