FORUMS: list search recent posts

RedCamera/FCP workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
danielle wang
RedCamera/FCP workflow
on Apr 30, 2008 at 11:54:34 pm

Hi,
I will be starting to assist on a short film that was shot with a Red Camera. I have never worked with this before, so I am a little lost. I am also not the greatest at FCP, I'm more fluent with Avid. So, from what I have read, I should be able to just import the media into FCP? All the media is on an external drive, should I copy them onto a separate drive to work off of? Plus it's good to back these things up. Also, I read somewhere I have to download a codec for the media to work on my FCP, is that right? If so, what codec? Any help from anyone would be appreciated, I think I am a little over my head.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: RedCamera/FCP workflow
on May 1, 2008 at 1:22:40 pm

You'll need to download software from RED.com.. Get the Studio plugin, the log and transfer plugin, and might also want RED Cine, and RED Alert to boot... http://www.red.com these files are accessed from the front page of the site... You need to be running FCP 6.0.3 as well. A Kona 3 card will help with the workflow... got one?

You can import and edit the proxy files directly in FCP... you'll find these in each shot's folder, or you can log and transfer them in as ProRes, or you can use the RED Cine, and RED Alert software to transcode to the HD flavor of the month too, import those files into FCP and even finish that way if deliver is to be HD.

Post what your eventual delivery master format needs to be, and also post what format they actually shot.. i.e 4k? 2k? 3k?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
'nother thing...
on May 1, 2008 at 1:24:23 pm

It's not as difficult as it sounds actually... just need to know where you need to end up in the end!

Jerry

Return to posts index

danielle wang
Re: 'nother thing...
on May 1, 2008 at 4:23:09 pm

Thanks Jerry! That helps a lot. I just need to get in and do a test...right now I guess I'm just expecting the worst. I will find out what they shot..and honestly...I don't think they have thought about what to finish on..

Return to posts index

Seth Paridon
on Aug 7, 2008 at 2:06:49 pm

Jerry,
I am attempting to read Red files on a non Intel based Mac G5. Is this possible?

Return to posts index

Kevin Stanley
on Aug 7, 2008 at 8:09:53 pm

No, RED applications are not supported on the PowerPC architecture. You can use pretty much any intel based mac to get the files into another format and then use your G5 though.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 8, 2008 at 1:50:50 pm

[Seth Paridon] "I am attempting to read Red files on a non Intel based Mac G5. Is this possible?"

NO you cannot read R3D files on non intel macs.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

ian karr
on Aug 8, 2008 at 3:25:22 pm

Mike,

You are absolutely correct in what the RED does and how great it is. I LOVE RED. When you need it and when you can work with it.

However, production companies don't always do post on the stuff they shoot. Frequently, our contracts require us to simply hand over camera originals or negatives. And the client's post team can't always handle 4K files.

The way the RED workflow currently is, it's more like shooting film, where an intermediate step is needed (telecine) before having the footage in a format most editors can work with.

The point I was trying to make was that, if your client requires HDCAM for final delivery, and you're shooting simple talking heads, It's more efficient to shoot on the format you'll be delivering.

Return to posts index

Igor Ridanovic
on May 1, 2008 at 4:58:18 pm

You can even start working right away without Log and Transfer plugin which is in beta. The least you need is the QT Redcodec for mac which you can download from red.com.

The camera records proxy QT files which will play back in FCP as long as you have the mentioned codec installed. You can edit with those. There are some inherent disadvantages in usign the proxies but for a short film you'll be fine.

Your finishing workflow will change depending on how you're mastering and finishing your show. If all you're doing is HD and you're satisfied with the qiality of the proxy files you can just offline edit and finish with those without ever going back to the 2k/4k R3D files.

If you are in Southern California look at my other thread about RED L.A. User Group meeting on May 10. There will be a lot of people who can talk to you about workflows.

http://www.HDhead.com
HD and D-cinema Consultant

Return to posts index

danielle wang
on May 4, 2008 at 11:34:29 pm

Hi,
So I downloaded the QT codec, and imported a QT file into FCP as a test. The Red website said to import the an entire folder, and that's what I did. However, after the "import" I got an error message saying "# of files were recognized, 2 ignore, some unidentified". And when I tried to open a clip, it would crash my FCP. What am I doing wrong? I tried reinstalling it, but no luck there. I can review the clips if I just opened QTplayer, but no luck in FCP.

Thanks in advance!
Danielle

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 5, 2008 at 12:19:53 am

First off, there are several different ways of working with RED. Here are some of them:

- Edit the RedCode proxy files in FCP in a ProRes Sequence
- Convert the R3D files to ProRes in FCP Log and Transfer beta plug in found on Red's support page
- Convert the RedCode proxy files to ProRes using Compressor
- Convert the R3D files to ProRes or other format using RedAlert or RedCine

NOTE: All of these require an Intel mac.

When dealing with Red files, the key is to not move anything out of the folders for each R3D file. This doesn't mean that you import everything in the folder into FCP. You only need to import one of the Proxy files.

As far as the crashes that you're having, my first thought is that you might not be editing on an Intel Mac. Also, what version of FCP are you using?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

danielle wang
on May 5, 2008 at 12:28:04 am

Hi,
I am working with:

FCP 6.0.1
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005D.B00
SMC Version: 1.7f10

I tried compressing the _H QT in compressor to Apple ProRes HQ, and had it export the QT to desktop for test. When I tried to import the ProRes QT from desktop, it told me it couldn't find the R3D file. Am I suppose to leave both the _H QT in the original folder?

I also tried just importing the_H QT straight from the Raid drive into FCP, and it worked. Can I just edit with the _H Proxy? I think I read somewhere I should convert it to ProRes.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 5, 2008 at 12:44:21 am

[danielle wang] " Am I suppose to leave both the _H QT in the original folder? "

Yes. The RedCode proxy files don't work if they are pulled out of the original R3D folder.

[danielle wang] "Can I just edit with the _H Proxy?"

Yes, but I don't suggest it. If you do, you should set your sequence to ProRes. If you're going to try to play it out to a monitor over a capture card, then you should set your sequence to 1920x1080 and your RTextreme quality playback to low or medium.

[danielle wang] "I think I read somewhere I should convert it to ProRes. "

You read that from me:) What you edit in really depends on what you're finishing to.

As far as your performance in FCP, you might try updating to the latest versions of FCP and QuickTime. I just used the Log and Transfer plug in off of the Red website and I think that it's a great way to deal with the Red files.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

danielle wang
on May 5, 2008 at 2:17:57 am

Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions! This forum has kept me insane since I started this project.
As of now, we are finishing HD, so what do u suggest the best way is to edit. I can convert everything to Apple Prores HQ QTs, so I should put those back in the folders of the original QTs, with rest of the proxies? I was just worried it would get confused. If not, I can definitely do that. So from what I understand, here is my workflow:
-take the _H proxy into compressor.
-convert to Apple ProRes 1920x1080i
-put the converted files in the same folder as the R3D and other proxy files
-import the converted into FCP to edit with.

does that sound right?

Danielle

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 5, 2008 at 11:37:44 am

[danielle wang] "FCP 6.0.1 "

Upgrade to 6.03, the 6.01 was not very stable with red.

if you update the camera software, you will need to upgrade the computer software to provide proper compatibility.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 5, 2008 at 5:46:19 pm

And I would use the beta Log and Transfer over Compressor.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

danielle wang
on May 7, 2008 at 11:51:33 pm

Ok, I tried downloading the Log and Transfer program from Red, but it says I must have FCP 6.03. I have a project on this mac right now that I did with FCP 6.01, and I can't upgrade, b/c it will screw up my current project. I was hoping to do both at the same time. Does anyone know if I can download the programs with FCP 6.01 or is that a big no no?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 8, 2008 at 12:31:55 pm

[danielle wang] "Does anyone know if I can download the programs with FCP 6.01 or is that a big no no?"

it will not run....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 8, 2008 at 2:31:28 pm

If you must stay in 6.0.1, then you need to either:

-compress the proxy files using a program like compressor
-use RedAlert or RedCine
-edit using the proxy files in a ProRes sequence (does this work in 6.0.1?)

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

danielle wang
on May 8, 2008 at 4:08:58 pm

I have imported the _H proxy file into fCP and it worked, but I haven't tried to edit anything, someone on here told me it would be cuts only edits...I wouldn't be able to do dissolves or anything.
I thought I can't even download Redcine and Redalert with 6.0.1? I can compress the QTs in Compressor, is that any different than using the Transfer and Log program? If not, then I could just compress all of my QTs to a prores files and edit with those?

Danielle

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 9, 2008 at 1:39:00 pm

[danielle wang] "I thought I can't even download Redcine and Redalert with 6.0.1?"

The RED apps ALL run as standalone.

As long as your OS / QT is correct for the version you are downloading they will run, It was only the FCP transfer plugin that will not install under 6.01.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

danielle wang
on May 10, 2008 at 9:19:32 pm

Ok, I'm having a really hard time getting this to work, and I'm running out of time.
I made ProRes QTs in Compressor using Apple ProRes 422(HQ). I can import the clips fine and drop them in the sequence fine. However, when I try to add a dissolve or anything, it will not render, giving me a warning sign that says Codec not found, even though I downloaded Redcode and it's in my sequence QT playback setting. Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried everything, even using RedAlert to make a medium quality QT, that doesn't work in my FCP either. I am on a 6.01 with the following Mac info:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005D.B00
SMC Version: 1.7f10

Thanks for any help anyone can offer me!

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 10, 2008 at 10:21:44 pm

Your sequence should be set to ProRes and not Redcode. Check that.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Alice Taylor
on Jul 3, 2009 at 6:39:10 am

Hi there,

I too am wanting to bring in some Red footage into my FCP project however am only working with 5.1.3. Most of the files I will be using are HD and I want to include some Red if possible. It does not need to be Red quality - I am happy to finish up offline with nothing too fancy. Is it possible?

Any help appreciated before I begin... thanks

Alice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]