FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio recorded in camera=problems

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corinne Pickett
Audio recorded in camera=problems
on Apr 28, 2008 at 6:22:56 am

So I've finally managed to get all of my footage transcoded from 4k 16:9 into ProRes HQ. All the clips are in FCP and playing nicely.

Now I have a major sound problem.

I used compressor to extract the audio from the proxies. Everything was going fine until I brought the audio into FCP. The sync drifts, and the audio clips are slightly different lengths than the video clips. This is a major problem because some of my takes are 25 mins long.

The sync and length problems can be fixed by using fit to fill to make the audio the same length as the picture and then merging the clips, but I can't do that because the speed is then variable and messed up when I make it into a multiclip for the other angle.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should be doing to the sound so that it comes into FCP already the same length as the picture?

Thanks

~Corinne
8-core Mac Pro

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Audio recorded in camera=problems
on Apr 28, 2008 at 1:41:10 pm

[Corinne Pickett] "I used compressor to extract the audio from the proxies. Everything was going fine until I brought the audio into FCP. "

WHY?

When the audio files on the RED are industry standard aiff files? - you changed them- now they do not work-

my guess is that compressor did not give you an Aiff, but an Mp3 and the computer is rendering the file constantly - hence it not always in sync.

why didn't you just file EXPORT the audio as AIFF from the Proxy file when open in the QT player?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Corinne Pickett
on Apr 28, 2008 at 3:24:52 pm

I have the exact same problem when exporting the aiff from quicktime.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 28, 2008 at 4:24:14 pm

[Corinne Pickett] "I have the exact same problem when exporting the aiff from quicktime. "

then it is a machine issue, and the computer is not fast enough to decode in realtime.

the audio is the same on all of the files- have you tried the "P" version of the proxy to do this?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Corinne Pickett
on Apr 28, 2008 at 7:45:51 pm

I have tried all the proxies, but because the audio is the same on all of them, I get the same problem.

It's not a machine issue, I can play back 2k video with no problem in FCP, so I'm pretty sure it has no problem keeping up with the sound. Besides, if I go 20 mins into a 25 min clip and press play, the sound is already off. The sync gradually gets behind, but because there's something wrong with the speed of it baked in, not the speed of the computer.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 28, 2008 at 8:36:45 pm

[Corinne Pickett] "t's not a machine issue, I can play back 2k video with no problem in FCP, "

Playback from storage is very different from CPU controlled playback. One is merely a disk speed issue whereas the other is dependent on what else the machine may be doing at the same time.

One play back 2K content on a G4, you can only play REDCode on an Intel machine however....

They also recommend 1 Gig of RAM per Processor - 4 Gigs as a absolute min.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]