FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red in Studio

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Brennan
Red in Studio
on Apr 24, 2008 at 2:55:18 pm

I am new to the whole red thing and just had a few questions.

Could 3 RED cameras be used in a studio setup (2k, 4k or 5k) and be routed through a switcher? My initial thoughts are NO WAY but I do not know a lot about RED. If so, how big of a crew would you need to run the cameras in a studio setting? Also, are their zoom lenses you can get for the RED so you would be able to put servos on them?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Red in Studio
on Apr 25, 2008 at 5:00:11 am

I don't know if there's a switcher that can handle that signal flow. But, Bob Zelin would probably know that answer to that one.

Will the Red put the signal out?
What will you record to?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 25, 2008 at 2:07:08 pm

[Steve Wargo] "Will the Red put the signal out? "

Currently the only signal out for Video switching is the 720p59.94 video tap.

there is not a way to switch the RED raw signal since you cannot get to it in real time.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Apr 26, 2008 at 3:47:50 am

Then almost any HD switcher would work.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Dean Brennan
on Apr 28, 2008 at 1:25:09 pm

I just read some stuff about how it takes more than one person to operate the RED. Wouldn't it be pointless to use these in a studio setting?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 28, 2008 at 1:54:28 pm

[Dean Brennan] "I just read some stuff about how it takes more than one person to operate the RED. Wouldn't it be pointless to use these in a studio setting?"

Film cameras more often than not require more than one operator in the studio, and cameras at this level of technology almost always have more than one person around them.

Thats what 1st AC's, DIT's, and Focus Pullers are for.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Apr 29, 2008 at 12:54:09 am

The RED really isn't designed for live work. It might be in the future, but trying to control the look you want from three cameras on a 720p output of a RED ONE doesn't make much sense.

Now if you were to record everything then do the cut in FCP, that would make a lot more sense. (That is, if the timecode features on the RED ONE allow for jam syncing cameras. If not, you'd have to do it manually with a slate.)

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on May 4, 2008 at 7:00:48 pm

The 720p output on the camera looks nice and sharp, but it's really intended for monitoring, with camera data as required. You can also record it for offline use. It does not (AFAIK) do a full debayer in camera, limiting the quality of the image.

More of a problem would be the 35mm depth of field the camera allows, making focus in a live studio much harder.

Finally - yes you can use focus assists on the camera, powered or otherwise - it allows for all the accessories of a film camera, PL mount lenses, matte boxes etc.

If you are really considering using RED in such a way, I suggest you do some more research into the current uses of 35mm cameras and the workflows and people required. This is not a 'video' camera, it's a digital cinema camera, and not suitable for all uses.

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]