FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED feature

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
RED feature
on Apr 7, 2008 at 8:05:43 pm

Thought the group might like to see this... a recently shot RED feature by Patrick Steele, who is a founding member of the Commicam group I belong to (a small group of guys and gals who shoot with Russian 35mm Konvas and Kinor cameras).

The film is "True Nature"...

http://www.truenaturethefilm.com

Go to the "media" section to see the trailer.

I know, as a marketing piece I'm afraid the trailer isn't all that compelling an advertising piece for the movie, but it does show some very beautiful shots... it was actually just made for testing purposes.

Below are just some notes I got second-hand from Patrick via a mutal friend... I don't think he would mind me reposting them here... unfortunately I do not know what kind of glass he used, that would have been nice info.

**The project was shot with REDs #15 and #16.

**Officially they had only one RED, but the rental place (Video resources in Orange, CA) sent their extra body in case the first one went down, which it did. The movie was finsihed with #16.

**They shot 30 hours of 4k footage.

**Some of the footage was shot available light with ISO cranked up to 2000 (girl running with streelights in trailer). The filmmaker says that the footage he saw on a theatre-sized screen in a DI suite showed no visible noise.

Below are some direct quotes regarding his experiences/concerns:

"The imaging chip sits on an ALUMINUM mounting plate. When the camera's not shooting, a fan cools the thing down. However, it goes off when you roll. If the camera chassis gets too hot the aluminum will swell and shift the chip by a micron or two, thus throwing your backfocus off, sometimes in the middle of a shot. We checked it constantly. I believe that's been solved however, in later cameras."

"Like most video cameras (and yes, it IS that contrary to what many say), it loves darkness and blacks and hates highlights and overexposure. It has little tolerance for reflections, bright, bright days and highlights from sweat on the forehead of an actor. Fortunately, our film is a dark film, taking place in the muted light of fall, with a rich, dark color palette, so the camera loved it. It's a case of knowing the benefits and limitations of the format and choosing accordingly."

"The camera was a power-pig! It would tap batteries faster than any system I've seen. make sure you have plenty of bricks and keep the assistants constantly charging them."

"The power cabling Red provided were too short! The connector on the camera to the battery was actually strained because they built it too short to reach their own power source."

"The camera and it's cage are bulky; it's not as operator-friendly as they would have you believe. It's designed to look cool and get in the way (okay, slight exaggeration). Adding to this, the EVF wasn't available at the time so we had to use a Panasonic 7" on board monitor, which is fine except when you're hand-holding and the articulated arm they provided wasn't enough to get it out of your face."

Just some passed-on observations....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
Re: RED feature
on Apr 7, 2008 at 9:00:11 pm

Nice looking stuff.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: RED feature
on Apr 8, 2008 at 12:12:32 am

Sounds like a lot of the issues he had have been addressed. And I agree that it is a video camera. It will clip the highlights at some point and after that, boy, they're gone.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]