FORUMS: list search recent posts

hd sdi

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Dycus
hd sdi
on Apr 3, 2008 at 3:18:00 pm

Can hd sdi out be recorded clean to a Panasonic 1400 DVCPro HD?

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: hd sdi
on Apr 3, 2008 at 4:21:28 pm

I believe that the HDSDI port is only outputting 720P and I'm not sure what framerate it uses. Any camera owners want to chime in?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 3, 2008 at 4:51:56 pm

[Russell Lasson] " believe that the HDSDI port is only outputting 720P and I'm not sure what framerate it uses. Any camera owners want to chime in?"

not an owner.

the HDSDI out is currently only 720p50/60 only

w/o RP188

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Barry Dycus
on Apr 3, 2008 at 5:05:09 pm

Guys thanks for the help. Gary can you explain RP188? Could you also explain the best and quickest way to turn 120fps @2k delivered to DVCPro HD? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 3, 2008 at 8:58:48 pm

[Barry Dycus] "Gary can you explain RP188? "

it is the timecode track that carries frame rate data in the 720p SMPTE spec. This is how the panasonic cameras can indicate their frame rate changes.

Without RP188 data-the data stream will be 60fps out of the RED - Not 24.

"Could you also explain the best and quickest way to turn 120fps @2k delivered to DVCPro HD"

Playback the 2K data file in camera and record to the 1400 deck via HDSDI as you mentioned

However-
You will have to manually extract the dupe frames generated by the camera, without the RP188 TC track there is not a way to extract the frames on the fly.

You will not have camera timecode to match back too
You will only get the default rec 709 color output -

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Barry Dycus
on Apr 4, 2008 at 12:29:28 am

Gary
Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Apr 12, 2008 at 7:59:33 pm

As an aside (and not totally OT), we recently tried to use an IO-HD to record the 720p output from a RED, as we thought it might be a viable off-line option with burnt-in data.

The IO-HD would not lock up within FCP, so we could not capture this way, although it would pass through the video to the monitor. And yes, I tried every possible capture option.

Any thoughts on this?

Ben

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 13, 2008 at 9:54:21 pm

[Ben Holmes] " we recently tried to use an IO-HD to record the 720p output from a RED, as we thought it might be a viable off-line option with burnt-in data. The IO-HD would not lock up within FCP, so we could not capture this way, although it would pass through the video to the monitor. And yes, I tried every possible capture option."

Ben
never had an issue with that - the HDSDI coming out is 59.94 and I can capture that all day long. what setting? I use the 720p59.94 setting out from the HDSDI- the HDMI output from RED is a non-standard geometry ( its not video) and cannot be recorded.

there are NO flags so that you cannot have anything other than the Baseband video signal.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Apr 16, 2008 at 11:37:37 pm

Gary

Will do some more tests when I have access to the camera at base again - but I know I tried that setup. Glad to hear it's doable, although I don't now think it's the way we'll work with RED, with the log and transfer option available now.

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]