FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proposed step-by-step edit workflow: Any tips?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peta Ridley
Proposed step-by-step edit workflow: Any tips?
on Apr 3, 2008 at 2:49:43 pm

I am embarking my first project shot on Red next week and have been doing a lot of research as to the best workflow to use. The project is a series of short (2 minute) films for a high profile client, delivery on tape and for web. Editing on an Itel mac with a high spec, using FCP, grading using Color. They are shooting 2k.

I am hoping that someone can take a look at this workflow and highlight any problems or inaccuracies. A lot of my info has been gleaned from this forum (as well as the RED-user forum) so thanks to everyone who has helped thus far, particularly Russell.

Workflow:
Copy the files onto the computer
Take the H_Quicktime into Compressor
Create a Prores HQ setting at 1920 x 1080 with audio pass through
Compress the files and use those for Masters.
Import into FCP and set your FCP project / timeline to1080p ProRes422 10 bit.
Create offline cuts
Send to Color for grade
Back to FCP to create deliverables

I guess my questions are:
(a) Is this the best workflow for a project of this type?
(b) Have I missed something vital or got my wires crossed and have not got my facts straight about any step of this process?
(c) At any point will I need to re-size the footage using these steps?
(d) How much quality loss is incurred by going down this route?
(e) Are there any file management issues that are crucial to this workflow that I may not know about?

This is all completely un-road tested for me so I am unfortunately walking into this project blind, hence trying to get as much info as I can as a ‘step-by-step’ process. Any extra details I may have missed, however small, would really help me out.

Many thanks to anyone who can give an advice.

Peta

Editor / Colorist
http://www.petaridley.com

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Proposed step-by-step edit workflow: Any tips?
on Apr 3, 2008 at 4:19:55 pm

I would strongly suggest that you download some R3D files from redrelay.net and try to simulate the workflow with just a couple of clips.

[Peta Ridley] "(a) Is this the best workflow for a project of this type? "

It's a basic workflow. There are other workflows that can offer a better image path, but they are more complex.

[Peta Ridley] "(c) At any point will I need to re-size the footage using these steps? "

Depends on if you need it at 1920x1080. If so, then yes you will need to.

[Peta Ridley] "(d) How much quality loss is incurred by going down this route? "

This isn't the path of best image quality, but it's pretty darn good for how much easier it is.

I might suggest using RedAlert to do a one-light pass on the footage to best maximize the options once you get to Color. Then from there, just create new proxy files for each clip. Then compress them. Or you can wait to see what files you're using, then go to RedAlert from there and reconnect the clips in your timeline.

I've got to go, but run a test and see if you have any questions from there.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]