FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are RED files always problematic?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg janza
Are RED files always problematic?
on Apr 25, 2018 at 7:48:20 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on Apr 26, 2018 at 10:47:12 pm

I work with RED files semi-regularly and each and every time that I'm given a RED shot project I run into problems with the files. Usually I encounter at least one or two corrupted r3d files in the mix that I have to transcode in order for Premiere to accept them.

Today though I've received a RED project and the problems have escalated. It was shot 5k with 2k proxies and I've received a drive that is a mirror of the originating files.

Here's the problems:

1. Premiere browser can't see all of the RED files because of the folder structure of RED. Premiere does bring them all in but I can't look at them in the browser.

2. When the r3d files are in Premiere they default to 2 channel audio with channel 1 with audio and channel 2 with no audio. The shooter recorded 2 channels (lav and boom) on 1 & 3. So in order to get channel 3, I have to modify the audio of the r3d file by adding a third track.

3. Not all of the r3d files have a matching 2k proxy file so I was going to create proxies in AME but AME thinks that the r3d file is two channel audio (1&2) when in fact it's two channel (1&3). So I can't create proxies that will attach to the r3d files.

4. I thought I could modify the audio in REDCineX Pro but it too thinks that the r3d files are 2 channel audio 1&2. I see how you can re-assign audio channels to tracks 1 & 2 but REDCineX Pro doesn't see channel 3 at all.

5. Perhaps the best bug of all is the creation of duplicate clips on import. For each real r3d file there's a half dozen duplicate clips that also get imported per clip and which I manually delete so as not to get confused with the media.

RED files are the only files I have these kind of problems with. MXF files work pretty flawlessly.

What the hell is the deal with RED?

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor
Adobe CC 2018
Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0
Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280
Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: Are RED files always problematic?
on Apr 30, 2018 at 10:52:07 am

Can honestly say that in 5 years working with a host of different Red cameras I haven't seen this. We are Mac based though and work in Premiere, FCPX and Resolve.

Was the card that recorded the footage formatted to UDF or to Fat32? Are the ProRes files chopped up into smaller chunks? Does resolve or any other program import the audio correctly?

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Apr 30, 2018 at 3:02:46 pm

[Tom Sefton] "Was the card that recorded the footage formatted to UDF or to Fat32?"

I don't have that info from the shooter.

[Tom Sefton] "Are the ProRes files chopped up into smaller chunks?"

No. The files are complete.

[Tom Sefton] "Does resolve or any other program import the audio correctly?"

I brought the files into Resolve15 and the same problem exists with the audio not being interpreted correctly. Resolve sees 2 channels of audio - channel 1 with audio and channel 2 without audio. But if I modify the file by adding another channel, resolve will then see the second track on audio 3.

I also have a folder labeled Log_files and inside that folder is one text file but that file can't be opened correctly by any text editor either on a PC or a Mac.

It's possible that the shooter transferred the Red files incorrectly but would an incorrect transfer also cause an NLE to misread the audio channels as well?

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Adobe CC 2018

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Apr 30, 2018 at 10:02:24 pm

You might need to ask what’s happened when it was filmed - It sounds as though they didn’t have a Pro IO module so used a wooden camera adaptor that routes two xlr inputs into a single mini jack port on the front - the audio channels on red are routed to be 1/3 or 2/4 dependent on which you use. So if they’ve only got one adaptor that’s why they would be routed like this. In the future if you want 2 channels of audio on 1/2 then they need to use 2 xlr to minijack adaptors, record audio separately, or use a Pro IO module.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 1, 2018 at 5:58:50 am

Tom, thanks for all of the info. Perhaps next time around I'll be able to give some input to the DP prior to it being shot so that post is smoother.

Windows 10 Pro
i7-5820k CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Adobe CC 2018

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 2, 2018 at 5:18:07 pm

I've only had to work with R3Ds.
Usually user error.
One file got corrupted in my 9 years working with that format.
I stayed away from the new DNxHD/ProRes options.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 25, 2018 at 5:30:19 pm

I haven't ever had any problems with R3D files. As for Pro IO module mentioned by Tom. I use and like the OMOD XLR 2 and it works great: https://offhollywoodny.com/products/omod-xlr Just don't use the XLR 1, it has too many problems that the 2 fixed.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]