FORUMS: list search recent posts

R3D w/ PP scaling over 50% causing flicker in playback and export

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Will Duncan
R3D w/ PP scaling over 50% causing flicker in playback and export
on Jul 16, 2017 at 11:48:44 pm

We're currently working on a television series in post and noticing an issue with R3D files in Premiere Pro where they flicker during playback and it's baked in to the exports as well. The flicker occurs on R3D files that are scaled over 50%. We have a rats nest of options to troubleshoot, from Lumetri color on almost all shots for quick color passes, to a mix of PC and Mac environment and different video cards. The PC is the master client on the edit, and it's running dual SLI with titan ti cards.

I was fully convinced it was an issue with Nvidia and CUDA, but we're seeing it when we switch over to Mac and the OpenCL engine as well. It may be possible some preview / playback caches are passing over, but we tried purging all caches and didn't have any luck.

Forum / Internet searches camera up fairly short, a lot of non-solutions but the one thing that did work was switch over to Metal engine on the Mac (bouncing between the PC and Mac for export is a serious reconnection nightmare on these projects). A few people mentioned disabling CUDA in PP, software engine only does remove the flickr but what was taking 15 minutes to export takes 2 hours with the software engine and deadlines are pretty tight. Time is fairly valuable.

So, has anybody seen a fix for such an issue? Fixing it on the PC with the Nvidia CUDA engine would be the most ideal, since it's about twice as fast as any of our trash cans and aside from the playback flicker has been incredibly stable. Our trash cans love to overheat on export as well.

Windows 10
Intel i7 6900K
64 GB DDR4
500GB M2 card
Dual EVGA Nvidia Titan TI's with SLI (we use the machine for Resolve a lot)
10 Gbe Network card
Blackmagic Decklink Extreme
Flanders DM 24"

My next step is probably to disable SLI and possibly remove the second card. But we're seeing the flicker on SDI output from our blackmagic I/O card as well. Doesn't help me figure out why it's passing over to the Mac or why only the Metal engine is working correctly (and even Metal has some quirks on the export).

Any help or pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]