48fps to 24fps Question

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Sultan
48fps to 24fps Question
on Nov 6, 2015 at 11:17:50 pm
Last Edited By Matthew Sultan on Nov 6, 2015 at 11:27:05 pm

Hi everyone,
I am working on a project being shot on Red Dragon by a crew that's currently in-field. Much of the creative calls for footage to be shot at 48 fps (1/96) for slow motion. There are, however, some instances where we may want to use "normal" speed shots. The shoot days are really tight so the director is wondering if they can shoot 48fps (1/96) the whole time and then speed up in post (200%) when a normal speed shot is needed. We will be cutting in Premiere Pro CC in a 23.976 timeline. My gut tells me that there will be some jitters in the image with that approach. Anyone have any experience in that? Please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance.

-matthew

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: 48fps to 24fps Question
on Nov 9, 2015 at 11:40:52 am

A normal 24P shutter is 1/48th at 180degrees.

So if you shoot 48 at 1/96th then you will not have normal film motion blur in the 48 frame footage. You will be removing every other frame and those frames will be captured at 1/96 of a second so they just will not look like they were captured "normally.

I suggest maybe two presets on the camera mapped to a button to switch between them with the backsliding calibration done at a shutter speed right between 1/48th and 1/96th.

This way you can maintain a solid black shading calibration and quickly, with the flip of a button, switch between the bodes and only adjust for the 1 stop exposure difference.

David

http://www.bottegabattistella.com/blog/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]