FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please welcome Gary Adcock as the RED forum's inaugural host

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathlyn Lindeboom
Please welcome Gary Adcock as the RED forum's inaugural host
on Sep 6, 2007 at 11:16:53 am

Hello Everyone,

Shortly after we launched this forum, Ron and I received an email from Gary Adcock which, lossely translated, read something like... "Ew, ew, pick me! Pick me!"

:o)

So, we did.

As many of you know, Gary has a wide range of experience across many cameras and processes and so we are very pleased to have Gary on board in the COW's new RED Camera forum.

So, please welcome Gary.

Kindest regards,

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo™
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
Re: Please welcome Gary Adcock as the RED forum's inaugural host
on Sep 6, 2007 at 7:08:26 pm

Woot woot! Go Gary!

Gary gives me goosebumps when he talks HD, 2K and 4K. In person, he makes my knees shake.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Sep 7, 2007 at 2:13:46 am

You are one brave man, Gary!

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 7, 2007 at 4:32:22 am

[Steve Wargo] "You are one brave man, Gary!"

yeah Steve, others have called it something else.

most people do not know I have always been a camera geek.
but I'm sure I will get some help.

With RED now shipping, the imagery is pretty amazing, I was looking at the HD trailer for the Peter Jackson film "Crossing the Line" at the AJA booth yesterday, and anyone that has not seen this yet cannot help but be stunned by the quality.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Sep 7, 2007 at 5:10:20 am

Your sense of humor may save you.

I just spoke to a friend of mine (10:30pm), Matt DeJesus, who went to Red's headquarters on Friday to pick up camera number 18. They had pizza for their guests. Hey, at least they had food.

I begged him, on my knees, to log on tomorrow, Friday, and give us his first impressions. I would quote him now but I don't want to steal his thunder.

A quick word: I was in a near fatal motorcycle accident on the Friday before NAB 2006. When Matt returned to Phoenix, he rushed to the hospital to examine the remains. He was shocked to see that I was cognitive and could speak. He wasted no time in whipping his laptop out and making me lay through a presentation by Jim Jannard. As the Oxycontin kicked in, I dipped in and out of consiousness. However, not all was lost, he transferred a copy of the presentation to my laptop which my wife had brought to my bedside in case I needed to dictate my last will and testament.

Two days later, when I reached full consiousness, I was able to review the presentation over and over. As a matter of fact, whenever I need to sleep, I just dig up that file and watch it few times.

Matt is a well respected 35mm film cinematographer who rented our F-900 to shoot a feature film and several high end commercials. He is a personal friend of the guys at Panavision and his opinions are to be taken as such. He's not as old as Ticheli though so he's not quite as hardened.

By the way: Got clipped on the freeway at 70 mph riding a Harley Road King. Three flips and a barrel roll and slammed, back first, into the concrete center barrier. No helmet. 13 fractured vertebrea, 7 ribs, left shoulder, right hip in three places and snapped my jaw in two and a bit of road rash on my forehead. The doctors told my wife the first night that I would be a paraplegic at best and would probably never walk again. Walked out of the hospital, with a walker, 15 days later. I bought the wrecked Harley from the insurance company for a steal. Now that I'm back to doing handheld HD, I need to get that bike running again. I had always told the wife "If I get taken out on the bike, just remember that I was having a great time right up till the moment of impact." After the wreck, which I remember nothing of, I was on the ground with people around me. They were tugging on my clothes (cutting the off. All of them) and all I culd think about was my broken dentures, which were still in my mouth. I was wondering if I should have them glued back together, like I had done in the past, or, should I spit them out and get new ones for around $1500. I didn't spit them out. The hospital called my wife and she drove there with a book to read. The ER nurse said "Aren't you worried about your husband" She replied "Nope. I'm a psychic and I've already seen that he is going to be OK." They thought she was crazy. I still do.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

magyar9
on Sep 7, 2007 at 5:12:15 am

Yeah, Ive been psyched about this product ever since I first read about it sometime back.

So which red number are you? (Im sure I have seen you on the reduser forums, though name doesn't ring a bell immediately.)

The camera is truly amazing, and like the others, Im curious as to what the specs of their red mini will be, as well as price range.

Peace

Return to posts index

Scott Anderson
on Sep 7, 2007 at 2:33:52 pm

Gary, I hope leading this sure-to-be contentious forum properly feeds your obvious masochistic streak ;-)

Seriously, dude - thanks for taking one for the team.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 7, 2007 at 4:22:19 pm

[Scott Anderson] "Seriously, dude - thanks for taking one for the team. "

its really only about being a noise filter, and keeping people on track.

I will be taking one on this but it will not be for the team,
My guess it will be somewhat lower.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 7, 2007 at 4:08:06 pm

[magyar9] "So which red number are you? (Im sure I have seen you on the reduser forums, though name doesn't ring a bell immediately.) "

I am not a reservation holder, but know a number of people that are, including about than half of the first 25.

I rent most of the high end gear that I use, especially when we are talking about Prime lenses and the type of gear one needs when even considering working in anything larger than HD. While I am considered a post guy, I have been a shooter for a couple of decades.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

donatello
on Sep 7, 2007 at 4:16:33 pm

Gary lets not forget your Glass work !!!
liked the posted glass work on your site ...

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 8, 2007 at 5:34:52 am

That's right! Yo Gary, can you blow me a 50mm prime? I'll pay extra for a 1.2 F-stop!!! LMAO!

And I agree with the others... you're one brave soul, my man. You kind of look like a sitting duck waiting for target practice with your lone head on the forum leader area.

Quack..... quack......

:D

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

rafalaos
on Sep 9, 2007 at 5:15:00 pm

The first time I heard about RED was when I read that Graeme Nattress had joined the RED team. That made me run to make a Google search. I've got stunned when I read the specs.
Now Gary leads the REDs forum in the Cow. With people like that around RED I just can expect the brightest future for this incredible camera.
However, for the people that, as my self, probably will never have the chance to work with such a machine, I do not recommend to log in http://www.red.com. When I did that I spent few almost sleepless nights with a RED running around my head.
Congratulations.
Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]