FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why so many .R3D files for the same clip?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McCoy
Why so many .R3D files for the same clip?
on Jan 6, 2015 at 12:25:07 pm

OK, I know I'm late to the RED bandwagon here, but it wasn't until recently that I actually got some work that required editing footage shot on a RED camera. The client handed me a hard drive containing all of the raw footage. I expected the file structure to be different, but holy effing crap. I find it just plain annoying and....from what I can tell.... stupid redundant. The last time I did any straight-up editing job, it was footage from an HD camcorder that I pulled from an SDHC card. Which was still pretty straight forward, as it was a one file = one clip file system.

I just don't get why the RED files are organized the way they are.

So there's the hard drive they gave it to me on, let's call it X:\

I go in to X:\Folder with Footage\ and am shocked to see the long list of other folders. No wonder they handed me 400 GB for a two minute long piece!

So I import all of that folder in to Premiere cc 2014. Oh joy. Now I have a bunch of source files with stupid names. I miss the days of logging and capturing from tape where I could call a file what it was either what helped me remember it or what was on the EDL. There. I said it.

After awhile I figured out that...inside each of these folders with stupid names are several .R3D files that....are identical in content, length, etc. SO I clear out all but one of them per folder.

So far, there's been no problem doing this. When I am done with the edit, I can create a trimmed project that's about 10% of the size of the original.

So my question is...WHY oh WHY are there so many .R3D files for every take done on the camcorder?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Why so many .R3D files for the same clip?
on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:15:36 pm

Im not sure what you mean but how long is each take?

R3Ds get split up over the lenght of a clip but not as separate folders.

That only happens for each take.

On one 64GB SSD, Ive had as many as 30 takes thus giving you 30 sub-folders.

Return to posts index

Oki Pienandoro
on Jan 31, 2015 at 11:11:55 am

Excerpt:
"...Redcode has one limitation – it strictly follows the FAT32 file system. The reason they went for this is to create files that are equally supported on Macs and PCs (Windows) without any modifications required. The disadvantage of this format is that you can’t go over 4 GB (1024 MB) in size. Let’s say the Red Epic records in 150 MB/s. One minute will require about 9 GB of footage. If you keep the camera running for one minute, the camera will write two files, both with the extension *.R3D...."
Source :
http://wolfcrow.com/blog/how-to-work-with-redcode-raw-r3d-footage/

Btw, i'm also new to Red workflow, so CMIIW.

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Joel Cotlhorpe
on Aug 15, 2017 at 12:55:02 am

Nooope

That's not what he's asking at all. He said multiples of "identical" clips. When you look at an R3D folder, at least on my mac anyway, there are usually over 10 clips that are the exact same video content, not continuations of one longer separated into 4GB chunks, exactly the same video clip and there will be up 15 versions of it sometimes all with just 1 number different at the end, and yes they are 4.03gb, but the content does not change from clip to clip. The only other interesting thing I noticed is that the longer that shot I took the more duplicates it puts in the folder??? It's almost like the other clips ARE content from that longer take but they all just auto combine and read as a whole but present themselves as the one overall clip no matter which one you press on.

Has the solution been found? I'm mainly just trying to make sure I'm not missing any footage and that the clip I use is full quality and I don't have to combine them in Red cine X or anything.

Return to posts index

Joel Cotlhorpe
on Aug 15, 2017 at 1:10:10 am

Yep ok, that's exactly what it is. The other files in the folder are all part of the same file BUT they will all present themselves as the same single file in your NLE and present themselves as 1 continuous file. Bloody confusing. I'd rather see 15 segments but somehow in the background the NLE or info in the files information is telling the NLE to present the files with the same combined data from the whole 15 clips, but we don't know it's doing that so it's just a mind f*ck.

Cheers Red haha

Return to posts index

Joel Cotlhorpe
on Aug 15, 2017 at 1:11:19 am

Yep ok, that's exactly what it is. The other files in the folder are all part of the same file BUT they will all present themselves as the same single file in your NLE and present themselves as 1 continuous file. Bloody confusing. I'd rather see 15 segments but somehow in the background the NLE or info in the files information is telling the NLE to present the files with the same combined data from the whole 15 clips, but we don't know it's doing that so it's just a mind bender.

Cheers Red haha

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 17, 2017 at 3:18:55 pm

Oki is correct, it is strictly FAT-32. Here is the way around it in Premiere: Go the the Media Browser, find your RED footage, let the clips populate once you selected the folder with the footage. Depending on the size of the clips this can take a minute. All clips will be shown as 1 clip. Preview any clip you want, once you add them to the timeline they will be added to your bin. The idea behind the media browser is to only load the clips you need to keep Premiere lean and running fast....I personally don't like this and just want to import the footage.

Adobe lets you request features, please request that the import function stitches RED clips together just like the Media Browser: https://adobe.allegiancetech.com/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?58HS6A

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]