FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Epic- FCP 7 or Premiere Pro CC?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peggy Davis
RED Epic- FCP 7 or Premiere Pro CC?
on Feb 19, 2014 at 7:49:29 pm

I've cut a couple of features with FCP 7 and RED. I recently started using Premiere Pro, and what FCP 7 editor hasn't migrated to something else?
It is my understanding that you don't have to transcode or alter the RED raw files in order to edit them with PP.
My iMac is a bit dated, I don't know if it can handle the footage using PP.
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
running Mavericks.
Or am I better off transcoding to Prores Proxie and sticking with FCP 7?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RED Epic- FCP 7 or Premiere Pro CC?
on Feb 27, 2014 at 7:08:15 am

For large projects I think it is always better to transcode and match back later.

Battistella

http://www.bottegabattistella.com/blog/

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Mar 1, 2014 at 6:18:52 pm

[David Battistella] " For large projects I think it is always better to transcode and match back later."

David,

I've been experimenting with some small projects, RED 5K without transcodes. So far I'm impressed.

Would you like to expand on your comment above?

Franz.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 2, 2014 at 9:22:52 am

I'm a bit old school.

Also I am using fcp x.

I find that working with proxies is very quick for editorial and then just flipping the switch to take it all to high quality final render works very well for me. I'm working with larger clips, long interviews, and media spread across a couple of 9tb drives and I find that the on the fly transcoding can bog down a bit.

If I were on a brand new Mac with all flash storage I might have a different opinion, but for me I still like the transcode relink route. I don't believe R3D was ever intended to be a full res live codec (without serious leverage with reds own 3rd party pcie card solutions)

So, proxy, render is fine for me. I know premiere has this mercury engine but I think you end up editing in 1/4 resolution anyway, so when there are 12-24 audio tracks laid up and maybe a few layers of picture, etc, I kinda feel it's less taxing on the system to have it reading a Prores proxy rather than a file that needs heavy computing power to decompress on the fly.

Battistella

http://www.bottegabattistella.com/blog/

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:28:31 pm

X with a new Mac Pro is a RED monster.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]