FORUMS: list search recent posts

Perfect Red Accessories?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Collea
Perfect Red Accessories?
on Mar 22, 2008 at 9:39:10 pm

What is a must for setting up the camera?

Arri Matte Box MB-14, Arri FF-14, Element Teknica side box, 8gb compact flash, 15mm rods?

What should I order along with my Red camera and where should I look for it?

Thanks, Keith

Return to posts index

Leo Ticheli
Re: Perfect Red Accessories?
on Mar 22, 2008 at 11:27:58 pm

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to your question.

First, you've got to choose between 19MM and 15MM rods. If you choose 15MM, you can't use some of the Red produced accessories, such as the side handles.

15MM is far more common and completely adequate; for example, I believe Clairmont camera has only 15MM sets.

With either choice, I highly recommend getting as much of the package from Element Technica; their products are of the highest quality. Buy everything they make.

There are many options available, or soon to be available, for the Follow Focus. Even on the used market, the Arri units are very expensive but thought to be the best. They are very rare in 19MM, as are used Matte Boxes.

I prefer the new Arri FF4 units. I believe Arri still has a deal on these through Abel Cine. There are some electronic units coming on line that are quite inexpensive.

The Matte Box size depends on the lenses you will be using; big zooms, such as the Cooke 18-100 require 6.6x6.6 Matte Boxes such as the Arri 14. Your choices are limited and the prices high.

If you're using smaller zooms or primes, you can get a smaller, much less expensive Matte Box; Red promises to have one as some future time and there are several inexpensive brands of various quality.

Good shooting!

Leo

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 24, 2008 at 2:34:06 pm

[Keith Collea] "Arri Matte Box MB-14, Arri FF-14, Element Teknica side box, 8gb compact flash, 15mm rods? "

Yo dude.( haven't seen you since HDExpo)

All good, as Leo says some of the RED branded accessories will not work on the 15mm rods, and I recommend a number of cards or the RED Drive.

I also got a chance to play with the EVF last week (RED #9) while in CA and I have to admit it was Very Sweet, cannot wait to put one on the #211 that I work with at Fletcher.

Oh did I mention you really need a very very powerful computer too, nothing less than intel and make sure you have a Gig of RAM for each processor.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Keith Collea
on Mar 24, 2008 at 6:19:44 pm

Thanks Gary!

That's a good point to know, so 8 processors= 8 gigs ram, singles ok, 4 up and 4 down? or 4x2gig, 2 up and 2 down?

Let's hook up at NAB, I'll be at the AJA booth again this year, Mon 2 to 4 and Tues 10 to 2...

Cheers, Keith

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 24, 2008 at 8:58:04 pm

[Keith Collea] "That's a good point to know, so 8 processors= 8 gigs ram, singles ok, 4 up and 4 down? or 4x2gig, 2 up and 2 down? "

does not matter as long as it is all set up in matched pairs.

[Keith Collea] "Let's hook up at NAB, I'll be at the AJA booth again this year, Mon 2 to 4 and Tues 10 to 2... "

As will I, ( kinda the #2 there, after JT)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]