FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will I need to buy a Red Rocket with the new Mac Pro when it comes out or will it be obsolete?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lito Lorenzo
Will I need to buy a Red Rocket with the new Mac Pro when it comes out or will it be obsolete?
on Oct 24, 2013 at 12:48:55 pm

So to my understanding my current Mac Pro is out of date to say the least. And working with 4k video does not make it any better. So I'm researching & find out about the Red Rocket card and about how it plays back 4k video in real time! Sounds exciting I know... But I am still new to this and that's when Apple announced the new Mac Pro December launch.. So will the Red Rocket card become obsolete? Or will I still have to get it along with a chassis of course since it wouldn't fit in the new Mac Pro anyways.. I just want the fastest of the fastest so I can get back to what I love doing (video editing, vfx, film type stuff)

If anybody knows this answer.. I would appreciate it greatly.. But since the thing doesn't come out til December I'm guessing we all have to wait in line and find out til then..

Return to posts index

Jason Flor
Re: Will I need to buy a Red Rocket with the new Mac Pro when it comes out or will it be obsolete?
on Oct 27, 2013 at 9:58:56 pm

The new Mac Pro Tower will render the Red Rocket card obsolete and it's about time because the RR card was a total rip-off, another RED money grab.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Will I need to buy a Red Rocket with the new Mac Pro when it comes out or will it be obsolete?
on Nov 5, 2013 at 1:10:37 pm

Its a trade off between then and now and tomorrow.
Then and now you need something that will spit dailies fast.
I for one needed to see my clips in real time at Full Debayer.
And as for tomorrow, well no one really knows but for those who have purchased in the past and now, we benefited with the ROCKET.
And with the attitude towards RED as far as cash grab, you ever buy Sony gear :P

Return to posts index

Jason Flor
on Nov 5, 2013 at 2:27:55 pm

I used Betacam cameras and editing machines for 25 years. They were expensive but they didn't nickle and dime you like Red does. They didn't offer a piece of equipment for one price then force you to double or triple your purchase price just to use it properly. And they never promised that you would never need to buy another piece of equipment (or be forced to by gullible producers & clients buying into the hype) And Sony never left original equipment owners flapping in the wind unable to get parts and service when they did bring out new equipment (ie: people who still have the original Red One). Sony never tried to force people to upgrade their gear like Red does by ignoring those who don't.
Jannard is a liar (obsolescence made obsolete) & rip off artist extradinairre.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 6, 2013 at 2:39:14 pm

Your thoughts are clear Jason and no disrespect.
I for one don't share it and with my experience with Sony and Canon, RED has been a great partner in this medium.
Lets see, I have an Canon XL-1 that cant be traded up to a C100.
We have a few Sony PDW that has no upgrade path to an F55.
Hey what ever your deal is with RED seems really personal.
For most of us, it just works :)

Return to posts index

D.J. Goller
on Jan 23, 2014 at 5:03:31 am

So I just got my new Mac Pro last night and did playback tests in red cine X. Its playing Full Resolution, Full Framerate 4.5K real time with no red rocket and its only pulling about 1/2 of the processors!! And thats without even enabling the 2nd Open CL card in the prefs, or boosting the RAM usage above the 2 gig that are the default settings in the app!

Who needs a RED ROCKET!?!?!?!

D.J.

Return to posts index

eric oliver
on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:55:28 am

DJ,
Do you think it will handle Dragon footage as well? Something shot in 6k that's transcoded to 4k or 5k?

E

Return to posts index

Pablo Villegas
on Feb 20, 2014 at 11:31:27 pm

Well, if you're using Resolve 10, apparently you still need them!

http://www.videodepot.com.mx/blackmagic/probando-davinci-resolve-en-la-nuev...

https://vimeo.com/pablovi/videos

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Mar 2, 2014 at 2:46:17 am

Lito, I too am trying to determine if I should put my Red Rocket Card budget money instead, towards a new Mac Pro, which I need to upgrade sometime anyway (or at least want to because it's a new toy!)

When I rent and use a Red Rocket Card in my current early 2008 Quad Core system, it transcodes RED to ProRes422HQ real time brilliantly, no issues. So, no need for me to purchase a new Mac yet, UNLESS someone can confirm you can get real time transcoding out of the new Mac Pro.

For that matter, even if it was somewhat close to real time transcoding I would probably be fine.

Can you update me on what you decided to do? New Mac Pro or Red Rocket Card, or both?

D.J. - You said you tested and got real time playback with your New Mac Pro. Can you tell me if your Mac Pro set up also gave you real time transcoding? And what version of the Mac Pro is necessary to accomplish that, i.e. any special upgraded video cards, etc.?

Thank you both in advance if you can share your experience since your last posts.

Mark Fanjoy

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]