Need advice with DIT rig for low budget doc. Pretty new to red workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshman
Need advice with DIT rig for low budget doc. Pretty new to red workflow
on Oct 13, 2013 at 9:49:46 pm

Hi,

Low budget Feature doc shot on the red on mx:

The project will have me backing up r3ds, some transcoding for dailies, and applying a few looks already established by the dp. No real grading or anything to crazy. This is for a documentary so of course money is tight and people (such as myself) are taking on roles that aren't necessarily qualified for.

There is going to be a ton of media generated...my plan is to (hopefully) get production to get thunderbolt drives or usb 3 drive, use r3d data manager to transfer to it and verify it then redcinex for any transcoding that is taking place for dailies and playback very debayered. I currently have a macbook pro 2.8ghz i7 w/ 16gb of ram. Shooting 4k at redcode 28 or 36 and possibly a 2 hour interview a day. I don't know what transcode times will be like for 2 hours of media, probly not very good? Without a rocket, how do people usually playback?

I am doing my homework elsewhere too but was hoping for a little help from the cow.

thanks
dan

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: Need advice with DIT rig for low budget doc. Pretty new to red workflow
on Oct 15, 2013 at 10:41:31 pm

Transcoding will also depend on what codec you are transcoding to. You may want to look at Cineform for that. The MacBook Pro or any laptop with a 700 series GPU should be ok at 1/4 resolution. You may want to have Premiere installed incase you need better playback with the GPU acceleration although RedCine is lean and good by itself for most.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]