FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED 4k Mastering discussion

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james Lackleter
RED 4k Mastering discussion
on Oct 13, 2013 at 5:08:57 am

First off I just wanted to dedicate the thread to different mastering and final project outputs we use. That being said, I'm looking to remove Pro Res 4444 from the discussion, because I'm not happy with the look and compression. The gamma shifts are too large and Quicktime X is god awful.

So I plan on making the master a 4k DPX, and from there encoding x264 4k for a release on the internet, I'm also having a DCP made.

I only have Davinci lite, so I'm considering using mainly redcineX so that I may render in 4096X2048 instead of the 3840X2160 that Davinci lite offers.

Sorenson seems to have a nice x264 compressor, I've gotten nice results from it so far, so I'll use this as of know. Please share how you all go about mastering projects. What output settings you use, programs, along with files, but lets keep it pertaining to getting the most out of our red footage.

(this is a side question) I'm running smoke trial, I'm leaving Final Cut. This last project was cut using FCP X (never again) Smoke let's you import FCP X XML into it. My clips are showing 1920 when I import into Smok, they are however 4k in Raw. The XML was created in 1920 project in FCPX, does project resolution affect the XML? It's strange because I don't believe it should)

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RED 4k Mastering discussion
on Oct 13, 2013 at 9:00:47 am

I pretty much use Handbrake for web compression. I have a series of settings that work really well and I use the X264 codec which seems to be faster and yeild better quality.

David

http://www.davidbattistella.com

Return to posts index

Gregory Gillaspie
on Oct 14, 2013 at 3:30:04 am

I've heard that Cineform 444 is pretty much the standard for mastering. Visually lossless compression that you can wrap in an AVI or MOV format.

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:02:51 am

So you prefer handbrake over Sorenson?

I've yet to try a 4k cineform pull. As of right now I've tried OpenEXR which is ILM's mastering file. And DPX, which I've been instructed to use for telecine projects. I believe it was used on an Alexa music video shoot I did with nice results. Anyway I will try it and report back.

P.S. let's get some more finishing flows people! I think ProRes4444 really needs to be removed from workflows as it's lossless and destroys gamma, so let's mash ideas. Also the reason I'm bringing H.264 decoders is because most professional editing softwares are lacking in this. Resolve especially...

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:05:15 am

On another note, Quicktime uncompressed looks awful from Davinci, blacks are crushed. Unless others have experienced good results with this, and if you have please fight for it, let's remove Quicktime from this discussion as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]