FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Scarlett in Las Vegas desert in August?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ravich
RED Scarlett in Las Vegas desert in August?
on Jul 11, 2013 at 9:43:25 pm

Hello-

Putting together a mostly exterior, documentary shoot in Las Vegas in early August. Hot I know. We'll be shooting dawn/early morning and dusk/night, so at least not the middle of the day. But we'll be outside, on the ground (tho close to our vehicle), for say 3-4 hours stretches, and hope to be able to roll thru most of that timeframe. Have been working with DP on best camera to bring given the extreme heat. He owns a RED Scarlett (with big selection of Canon EF lenses) and is understandably biased towards using that as the A Camera, with 5D markii as B camera.

Haven't heard the best reports about Scarlett in the heat, actually seems to be esp heat sensitive, and along with fan noise issues, thinking we're just asking for a lot of headaches (markii has its known overheating issues too.) Been primarily shooting with Canon C300 lately and wondering if anyone out there thinks it's a smart option given the conditions? Or really any other cameras? Ideally it's portable/doc-friendly, large sensor, EF mount-enabled camera. FYI - we're offlining/onlining/delivering 1080 29.97p - so 2K/4K not an issue.

Love to hear what folks think.

Thanks, Nick

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: RED Scarlett in Las Vegas desert in August?
on Jul 12, 2013 at 5:34:28 pm

Bring a cooler with ice and 3-4 gel ice packs, wrap one at a time in a handkerchief and place on the camera. I did an entire shoot with a RED One like this.

The problem isn't so much ambient heat as it is direct sunlight. When at all possible, keep a space blanket over it, or tuck it in the shade of an overhang or whatever is feasible. These cameras are black (well dark gray for the RED) and will absorb sunlight to the point where they'll be a good 10-20 degrees hotter than ambient.

Regardless if you go RED/Canon I think both suggestions are worth following in those conditions.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Jul 13, 2013 at 12:38:36 am

Many thanks Angelo.
DP I'm working with also strongly suggested this.
Looks like I'll be doing a big Walmart run in Vegas.
Nick.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 14, 2013 at 11:38:12 pm

[Angelo Lorenzo] "Bring a cooler with ice and 3-4 gel ice packs, wrap one at a time in a handkerchief and place on the camera. I did an entire shoot with a RED One like this."

While you are hitting that walmart. stop by the toys section and get some of the emergency chemical cold packs for kids, you can get them cheaper in the toy section than in the pharmacy.

They are marketed to soccer moms for injury's and they offer you a good little back up, useful on the crew if they overheat too.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Jul 15, 2013 at 6:24:11 pm

Good looking out.
Thanks Gary.
Nick.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jul 15, 2013 at 7:10:17 pm

The other thing to get a camera back up and running immediately is to flash cool it: turn a can of compressed air upsidedown and spray the body panels - don't spray into vents of any sort.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 15, 2013 at 10:37:10 pm

[Angelo Lorenzo] "The other thing to get a camera back up and running immediately is to flash cool it: turn a can of compressed air upsidedown and spray the body panels - don't spray into vents of any sort.
"

I would not recommend that, I watched helplessly from across the room as someone destroyed a sensor doing that very thing.
I also think that much of an extreme range of temp change when hypercooled air is sprayed onto the body of the camera.

That technique is used to temper metals, but only really works when the entire piece of metal is completely heated to a constant temp then chilled all at one time. It tends to make parts very fragile / brittle when handled this way.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]