FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Zarbock
Frame Rate
on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:47:08 am

"New to creative forum" I am post editor for a lot of videos for our company. We have stuff shot on the Scarlet coming over. We are needing stuff at 29.97 but after 7 shooting days some came as 23.97 and some 29.97. Premiere sees the shots as 23.97 and 29.97. We edit natively in Premiere no problem. However when I send out for color and get the clips back my in and outs are all off, nothing matches back up. My colorist is using Dvinci and says he makes the project 29.97, I don't understand why my in and outs are all off.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Frame Rate
on Jul 10, 2013 at 5:52:11 pm

Resolve, and most online editors, are not designed to deal with this sort of thing.

What Premiere is doing is re-striping the timecode of the 23.976 clip from the timecode start with 29.97-based timecode. Premiere is also interpolating new frames to match playback speed. Resolve does not like this.

You have two choices:
1. In Premiere, interpret all 23.976 footage to 29.97. Re-edit your timeline where the footage was used and use the speed effect to slightly slow it down to real time. These speed changes will work within Resolve. In Resolve, conform the timeline. Any 23.976 footage will have to be set as interpreted as 29.97 and force conformed in the timeline as these clips will be marked as missing. This, at least, gives you access to the RED files directly in Resolve.

2. Treat every 23.976 shot as a VFX shot. Within Premiere, if you're editing the RED footage directly, export DPX sequences or whatever your Resolve tech suggests and then use these clips in place of the RED footage as they will already be in 29.97 within Resolve

This is what happens when issues aren't caught early enough.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Frame Rate
on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:39:41 am

Echoing Walter's reply in another post, looks like I missed this feature in Resolve 9 http://vanhurkman.com/wordpress/?p=2028

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]