FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow: Red Footage + Sound Sync + Edit

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Denegre
Workflow: Red Footage + Sound Sync + Edit
on Jul 3, 2013 at 10:49:33 pm

Hi,

I shot on the red scarlet for the first time. I'm very familiar with FCP editing, coloring in Color and DaVinci (lite), After Effects, etc. This is the first time I've used R3D files and Redcine-X Pro, however. I have the FCP plugin installed, as well.

I'm happy to research all the details on how to do each step, but what I really need is a high level sequence of the workflow. I have no idea where to start!

Should I color correct first in Redcine-x, then export to FCP?
Should I log and capture the footage into FCP first, then send to Color or DaVinci?
Should I sync sound files in FCP first?
What about exporting a ProRes to edit with, then using xml to reference the R3D files in Redcine-x Pro and color correct there?
Do I just edit in After Effects?

I just don't know where my first step is, here. Any help?

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Workflow: Red Footage + Sound Sync + Edit
on Jul 7, 2013 at 5:58:21 pm

[Dan Denegre] "
Should I color correct first in Redcine-x, then export to FCP?
Should I log and capture the footage into FCP first, then send to Color or DaVinci?"

That's really a preference in time/quality. Pre-grading in Redcine X will save you some time, but you'll still need a polish color grade in the majority of cases.

[Dan Denegre] "Should I sync sound files in FCP first?"

While you can sync sound in Redcine X, the more flexible option is to do it in Final Cut... and you can do it at any time in your workflow you're comfortable with. Syncing sound in your NLE is advantageous if you're working with EDLs to get final sound mixes and so on, they'll export the true original files.

[Dan Denegre] "What about exporting a ProRes to edit with, then using xml to reference the R3D files in Redcine-x Pro and color correct there?"

You can do it, but I've found it gets cumbersome for more advanced edits. Why bother, if you have DaVinci in your toolbelt, it would be a better option.

[Dan Denegre] "Do I just edit in After Effects?"
AE isn't for editing. It's for effects and motion graphics.

You're just overwhelmed by options. I would do the following:
Export to ProRes in Redcine X (with initial look or not, your choice)
Edit in Final Cut
Export XML/EDL to Resolve and re-link to original Red files
Colorgrade and export finished video in Resolve.
Bring back into Final Cut, marry with mixed audio and export master.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Dan Denegre
on Jul 7, 2013 at 6:08:21 pm

Awesome, thanks Angelo. I wasn't sure which way to go, so I already started a ProRes export to FCP with xml. I wound up syncing the audio in Redcine-x as the auto-sync feature looked like a good bet. Once I get into FCP I may do manual syncing as needed, then go with the rest of your suggestions.

Thanks for your guidance on this, I really appreciate it Angelo!

Dan

Return to posts index

Dan Denegre
on Jul 30, 2013 at 1:13:56 am

I've got all the sound sync - used plural eyes and had to do some manually. Now that I've got all my sequences sorted (footage + sound), should I edit those sequences directly, or can I export all of them as prores clips? My thought is that in generating new clips to edit from the synced sequences, I'd lose the XML data when returning back to the red footage.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]