FORUMS: list search recent posts

First time shooting with RED - Brazilian Student

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Heller
First time shooting with RED - Brazilian Student
on May 26, 2013 at 11:29:34 pm

Hi,

So the thing is: We will be shooting the Final Project of our grade school using the RED Epic. It's the first time students are able to shoot digitally.. usually we would do it with 16mm or 35mm film. Because of that our teachers are not aware of the Digital Workflow, at least not enough. So that's why I come here.

I'm struggling with the idea of shooting 5K FF or 5K WS, since our final aspect ratio will be 2.40:1. I know that if we shoot it FF I have the possibility of reframing in post, but that affects the next question. Also, I must shoot it 5K because of our lenses, which start from 18mm and I can't afford the crop factor, considering the aspect ratio and that we have a lot of wide shots of buildings, etc.

We won't be able to finalize the film in anything more than 2K, not only because of the money but also because in Brazil we wouldn't have anywhere to watch it in a higher quality.

So my questions are: Is it possible for me to shoot it in 5K (let's say WS for now) and then in a regular 2010 15'' Macbook Pro we transcode it in two alternate versions: one in PRORES 422 HD 1080p for editing and another in PRORES 4444 2K for conforming in a post house so we can CC it and finalize in DCP?

The reason why I would wanna take the 2K clips to the post house instead of the 5K is because they charge a lot more for handling 5K.

Sorry for my bad english..

Lucas

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: First time shooting with RED - Brazilian Student
on May 27, 2013 at 6:05:46 pm

[Lucas Heller] "So my questions are: Is it possible for me to shoot it in 5K (let's say WS for now) and then in a regular 2010 15'' Macbook Pro we transcode it in two alternate versions: one in PRORES 422 HD 1080p for editing and another in PRORES 4444 2K for conforming in a post house so we can CC it and finalize in DCP?"

Yes.

I see a few issues. First, you'll probably want a better computer to deal with the footage transcoding, hopefully a school's MacPro or something like that, otherwise the processing times will be painful at full quality debayer. Half quality debayer should be suitable since you're also going from 5K to 2K and this will save you more time in transcoding.

The other issue is reframing. Since all footage will be in 1080/2K then you need to treat any frame that is blown up as a special effect shot. You'll need to go back in to the 5K footage, crop/resize/reposition, and export a new version to maintain quality.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]