FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting a RED Sequence from Premiere - 2 minutes of footage, 4 hours of export time????

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Joslin
Exporting a RED Sequence from Premiere - 2 minutes of footage, 4 hours of export time????
on May 14, 2013 at 3:25:38 pm

Help!
I'm exporting a 2 minute sequence from Premiere (RED footage shot in 4k, edited in 1080) and it's taking 4 hours - is this regular? What's the best way to export? I need to get three of these videos to a client by end of day.

Thanks!
-C

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Exporting a RED Sequence from Premiere - 2 minutes of footage, 4 hours of export time????
on May 14, 2013 at 6:54:49 pm

Computer specs? Effects used in sequence? CUDA enabled (wont to much for RED files but will help with effects and resizing) I suggest at least going into each RED file RAW settings and setting the quality to half/medium. Premiere, by default, does full debayer quality.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Chris Joslin
Re: Exporting a RED Sequence from Premiere - 2 minutes of footage, 4 hours of export time????
on May 14, 2013 at 9:11:47 pm

Mac Pro, OSX 10.6.8
Proc: 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad Core Intel
Mem: 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

Not sure what CUDA is.

And by setting quality to half/medium do you mean going into the properties of each clip within Premiere? Wouldn't that mean I would have to reset it to full quality whenever I wanted to export a full quality file?

Also - I was attempting to export to H264, so it was doing tons of compression. I eventually just decided to export to ProRes 4444 and then compress to H264.

On another note, when exporting a 'self contained' file of the sequence I notice that RED's native file format is mpeg (with an XMP file accompanying it). Is there any way to convert THAT file to an H264? I tried using quicktime and mpeg streamclip with no luck.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on May 14, 2013 at 9:45:11 pm

Yes, I mean going into each clip RAW settings and setting it to half quality. If you're exporting a finished product to 1080 from 4K then the quality difference will be marginal, especially if you're exporting to a compressed web format. I would probably export the ProRes 4444 masters at full quality. It's a stop gap until you can benchmark your system.

Generally, for RED files, the bottleneck is CPU clock speed, the decoding process isn't terribly multithreaded even though Adobe will be faster than Redcine-x in terms of conversion on the CPU - at least in some of my informal tests. If you had a RED Rocket, then Redcine-X is marginally faster than Adobe; fun fact.

RED REDCODE files are raw (non-debayered) images stored with a variation of JPEG2000 wavelet compression. Although it shares some JPEG2000 traits, it is not 1:1 compatible. You'll have to go through the proper, slow, RED decoding/debayering process.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Chris Joslin
on May 14, 2013 at 9:19:54 pm

Also, FX: Three Way Color, Brightness and Contrast, some scaling.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]