FORUMS: list search recent posts

High Frame Rates with Red Epic and Importing into Premiere as 23.976

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bert Beltran
High Frame Rates with Red Epic and Importing into Premiere as 23.976
on May 11, 2013 at 1:28:37 am

Hello Everyone,

Im having some issues understanding high frame rate with red footage and importing them in premiere.

So I have some Epic footage that was shot at high frame rates, when I import them into premiere they import as 23.976. If the camera shot at 300fps shouldn't it import into premiere as 300fps and play back at normal speed?

Then in premiere I should go under the Interpret Footage option and change it to "assume this frame rate: 23.976". Then once that is done then my footage should play back in slow motion.

Im not a Red Camera Operator so I dont know what settings there are for frame rates.

The only thing I can think that happen is that the camera with recording at 300fps but was converting it to a 23.976 so that it automatically plays back in slow motion.

Hopefully that makes sense to the people that know Red Cameras. I hope that there is a work around to converting to play back in normal speed with out having to do a lot to the footage. Its because I have over 400 clips that are in slow motion.

Muchos Thank You's

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: High Frame Rates with Red Epic and Importing into Premiere as 23.976
on May 11, 2013 at 2:35:34 am

Red Cameras have two settings: framerate and timebase. Framerate is how many fps the camera records while timebase is what timecode and playback speed is based on.

Shooting 300fps with a timebase of 23.976 is akin to overcranking a film camera ~ slow motion basically.

This is a deliberate camera setting and not an issue with Premiere or the footage.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Bert Beltran
on May 13, 2013 at 4:21:21 pm

Thanks Angelo
So if I understand you correctly, the camera operator entered the setting to timebase recording which then treated it as 300fps shooting and playing back with a timebase of 23.976.

If I wanted all 300fps to be played back at normal speed then the settings in camera should be framerate recording?

What I wanted to achieve was to have the red footage import into premiere and to have it say 300fps in the Project manger window.

Then I wanted go in and change the frame rate to interpret at 24fps, which then will give me a slow motion clip.

Is this something that can happen with red footage or when shooting on red does it only have the option to record at high frame rates and playback in slow motion rather than normal speed?

Muchos Thank You's

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on May 13, 2013 at 7:23:16 pm

[Bert Beltran] "If I wanted all 300fps to be played back at normal speed then the settings in camera should be framerate recording?"

Unfortunately, not in all instances. Timebase settings, since they're the basis of timecode, are limited to 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 47.96, 48, 50, and 59.94. Any other combination of timebase and framerate will lead to an undercranking or overcranking effect.

[Bert Beltran] "What I wanted to achieve was to have the red footage import into premiere and to have it say 300fps in the Project manger window.

Then I wanted go in and change the frame rate to interpret at 24fps, which then will give me a slow motion clip.

Is this something that can happen with red footage or when shooting on red does it only have the option to record at high frame rates and playback in slow motion rather than normal speed?"

I would say your best bet is to preview in the timeline with speed/duration changed to ~1150% if I recall my math correctly. This kicks in frame skipping for Premiere Pro; Premiere Pro wouldn't try to attempt 300fps throughput but gracefully drops frames for the speed increase.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]