FORUMS: list search recent posts

REDCINE-X Pro + Premiere CS6

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory ORear
REDCINE-X Pro + Premiere CS6
on Apr 21, 2013 at 7:05:09 pm

Hi all,
Apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything definitive.

I am editing 1080p proxies of 4k R3D footage in Premiere CS6, as my computer can't quite handle editing in RAW. I am applying a lot of keyframe effects to them, crops, and scale modifications and when I export an EDL or XML to Redcine-X to re-link with 4K files and color correct it does not recognize any of the added effects.

Is there some way to edit with proxies, go to Redcine-X and then back to Premiere without losing my effects? This is really essential to our workflow!
Is there a plugin that fixes this?
If I send my proxies straight from Premiere to Speedgrade or another color program can I relink them there and not lose the effects? I need some kind of workaround obviously for this...

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: REDCINE-X Pro + Premiere CS6
on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:15:00 am

This is called onlining a film and it's very tedious so don't expect any quick fix suggestions.

Let me ask you this: are you doing a 4K master or a 1080P master? Is the quality of your intermediates high; are your intermediates in RedLogFilm, something like ProRes HQ or DNxHD 220x at full debayer quality or are they whatever?

In an ideal world, if you had good intermediates and were going to a 1080 master, just use the Send to Speedgrade command to render out DPX and then, if you need to, export the EDL to drag onto the timeline in Speedgrade to re-create the cuts.

If you were going to a 4K master you need to export an EDL and relink footage. Any scaling and cropping can be recreated in Speedgrade (it would need to be scaled for 4K footage anyways) then anything with an effect on it in Premiere or AE needs to be recreated with the 4K footage, rendered out to DPX and then replaced in Speedgrade. Once that is all exported then you can bring back the pristine DPX files into Premiere and marry it with audio.

When entering this point it's good to break your film into multiple ~15 minute reels (assuming this is longer than 20 mins or so). If you need to re-edit a sequence you only need to rebuild one reel instead of shuffling around an entire film.

That's the process in a nutshell.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]