FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED footage: Edit in AVID, grade in Redcine X - HOW?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aleš Svoboda
RED footage: Edit in AVID, grade in Redcine X - HOW?
on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:01:00 pm

In a couple of weeks, I will be shooting my graduation film on the RED Scarlet, which I've worked many times before, but never had to deal with the whole process.

I'am trying to figure out, what is the best way to achieve the following workflow: Import clips into AVID (transcode in REDCINE X or AMA??)>>>edit in AVID>>>import timeline into REDCINE X.

Thank you for your replies.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: RED footage: Edit in AVID, grade in Redcine X - HOW?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:33:41 am

In Redcine-X, export to Avid MXF. Avid's AMA, from what almost every editor tells me, is designed for short projects with quick turnarounds. You will waste time with AMA on larger projects.

Once you are done in Avid, make your video "EDL friendly" by consolidating all the video to one track. Export an EDL.

In Redcine-X you can import the EDL and relink it to the original footage to work in a timeline. Grade as needed. Export to Avid MXF.

Bring new files back into Avid, and build off the original EDL, marry audio and export.

Alternately, why not export DPX from Avid and grade in Resolve? Sounds like you'll be exporting 1080HD anyways.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Aleš Svoboda
Re: RED footage: Edit in AVID, grade in Redcine X - HOW?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:38:05 am

I'am expecting around 500GB or RAW material. Is it still better to do the export to AVID MXF usind Redcine X, instead of AMA?

"EDL Friendly" - if my editor is used to working in multiple tracks (2-3), could it be a problem and should he just edit it, so it fits in the single track? My editor also mentioned, that there are many different types of EDL's, which is the best one for Redcine X?

After grading, the export back to AVID should probably be in the highest quality as possible, since I won't be coming back to the RAW data, right? Is Avid MXF the best way to go?

I'd rather work in Redcine X, most of my friends recommend it and seems to work better on my system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]