FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storage solution for RED Epic???

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Akbar Basha
Storage solution for RED Epic???
on Jan 27, 2013 at 8:06:31 am

Hi,

We are planning to shoot a regional feature film in South India using Red epic. I need help in deciding the best way to store the raw files. We will be shooting in a remote hill station with limited facilities for 25 continues days. What kind of setups should I buy and take with me to store the footage safely for 25 days...?

Thanks,
Akbar

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Storage solution for RED Epic???
on Jan 27, 2013 at 6:09:03 pm

Has your director or cinematographer shot any other features? From that you can get a sense of your shooting ratio.

Of the few 30 day schedule features I've been on, I've seem about 60-70 or so footage hours for a near two hour film. About a 35:1 ratio or 2 hours and 20 minutes of footage a day.

If we do a little calculation (via KataData for iPhone) for RED 4K HD, 24fps, 9:1 compression, 62 hours of footage (25*2.5 roughly) it will be 6.2tb. Add some overhead for sound, on-set stills, and you bump it up to 8tb. Double it for redundant backup and 16tb is what you're looking at.

Keep in mind the films I've worked on were very coverage heavy (multiple angles of the same scene). Traditional shooting ratios for film are anywhere from 3:1 to 20:1. Digital has really relaxed that, it seems.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Akbar Basha
on Jan 27, 2013 at 6:25:30 pm

Yes my cinematographer is shooting another film which requires 2tb of storage every 3 days. I have a rough idea of how much space i need but my question is which hard drives should I use??? Should I buy multiple 2tb external drives or multiple internal drives with dock or raid box? Which is the best, safest and cost effective solution..?

-
Akbar

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jan 27, 2013 at 7:30:10 pm

The most cost effective way would be a 2-slot dock which allows eSATA or Firewire or Thunderbolt (or whatever high speed connection you have) and bare drives. This separates the interface from the drive so each drive is cheaper. You would, however, need to mirror data manually.

This doesn't mean it's the most practical. You may want to consider a two dock RAID 1 (mirror) enclosure which is more expensive. This would allow you to back up in the field with a more robust enclosure (you don't have to worry as much about dust, cooling, etc). You could swap out pairs of bare drives as they fill up.

Some people like larger all-in-one RAID 5 setups, but I don't know if I'd risk an entire unit on an on-location shoot. Most of the people who use these are on television shows or union films.

Make sure you purchase anti-static cases for the bare drives once they are done with the RAID, or replace them back in their original anti-static packaging.

The nice thing about the RAID box is that you can walk away with it and use it on other productions.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: Storage solution for RED Epic??? - BUMP to RAID forum?
on Jan 28, 2013 at 8:59:45 pm

Akbar,

this COW forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/raid might be a bit more appropriate for you. We handle your kind of questions on a regular basis there. Bob Zelin, myself & others.

Jonathan Schilling
Vertical Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]