FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED color correct/color matching issue

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Rosenberg
RED color correct/color matching issue
on Jan 10, 2013 at 3:58:24 pm

Hi there,
This past weekend we shot a commercial using a RED camera and the footage looks amazing. The only problem is that the lighting was different from day 1 to day 2, so the lighting and colors are off between shots. We mainly shot against plexi glass (which in most cases, gave a nice "white" background) and against a plain white wall (in a studio). In some of the shots, the lighting is great and gives a nice, bright, "white" background. But in others, the background looks grey.

I am wondering how to go about color correcting/color matching with RED footage. Should i attempt to do this in source settings while color grading and then use other premiere color correction tools like three-way-color correct after? Or should i try and match footage using premiere tools and then color grade in premiere using the source settings? Or should i be doing this in after effects?

We want to do some split screen effects, and it looks really bad with some shots with a white background and others with grey. What is the best and quickest way to fix this? The commercial is due in 4 days!

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: RED color correct/color matching issue
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:50:58 pm

[Amy Rosenberg] "What is the best and quickest way to fix this?"

The best and quickest way is to take it to a professional colourist to do the matching for you. However, I'm assuming you probably also mean 'cheap', in which case After Effects is your best option of the ones you've given.

What you're attempting to do is called 'secondary colour correction', which means making changes to specific parts of the image, rather than the entire image. This isn't really a RED question though, as mis-matched footage can come from any camera. You'd be better off asking in the After Effects forum. Attempting to match it by modifying the raw metadata won't give very good results, so approach it as it it were footage from a 'normal' camera.

For what it's worth, a professional colourist or After Effects artist could come to your studio and fix this for you very quickly.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RED color correct/color matching issue
on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:58:40 pm

I think the best thing to do is heed the advice given here to get a professional to solve the problems that were not the result of the RED, but of DP and lighting continuity.

These things are common and quite easy to fix using a secondary key on the background.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]